SOLVED Shutting down the VM on Mac Intel

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sleuthy

SOLVED Shutting down the VM on Mac Intel

Post by Sleuthy »

Hello: I think this is a simple question, but sometimes technical guides do not discuss the basic things, and I did not see this in a search of this forum.

I am trying to shut down my VB so I can do an OS restart. Last time I tried to shut it down I had to go through and uninstall/reinstall it.

It is VM 6.45.16 PM with the extension, with Kali.

When I shut it down before there were several options. Among those, which will enable me to open the VM after the restart, without losing the set up or data?

Oh, and could someone please tell me what "Host" means, in key combinations? Is that the control key on a Mac?

Thanks!
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: SOLVED Shutting down the VM on Mac Intel

Post by multiOS »

A 'normal' VM shutdown should be carried out in the same way that you would on a physical installation i.e by bringing up the list of control options (shutdown/restart/logout etc.) and selecting the correct option. How you locate that in a Linux VM will depend on the Desktop Environment/Layout you are using (KDE, GNOME, Xfce etc.) but all are similar to the method you would use to gracefully shutdown your Mac.

The Host is your physical computer and the default Mac Host Key is the left CMD Key. in the VirtualBox 'Menu' select VirtualBox > Preferences > Input to see Lists of the pre-programmed keys for the VirtualBox Manager and the Virtual Machine.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm puzzled why the title includes the word "solved"? I see no mention of an accepted solution? Also the original post has not been edited, which seems to imply that it was created with this title. And finally, MultiOS's reply also includes the word, telling me that the solution came before the first answer.

And then there is the apparent version number "6.45.16 PM"?

Usually when a post contains this many oddities, it is spam prep.
Sleuthy

Post by Sleuthy »

Oh, sorry! No spam.

I am completely new to VM. My experience with forums is to try to be as thorough as possible and to explain what has been tried or investigated so far, before posting a question, especially a simple one.

I figured out part of my answer before anyone else had replied, so I had the option to leave the post, wasting people's time as they replied to something I had an answer to, or to pull the post, which some forums frown on. So I chose to use the Reddit style of adding solved to the title.

Thank you both for your answers. I wasn't sure about the "host" part of the key combo (as referenced in the user guide) so that explanation helps.

:)

(ETA to reference the addition of the word "solved".)