VBox crashing and hanging on macOS solved

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DennisC

VBox crashing and hanging on macOS solved

Post by DennisC »

Hi,

I have had random crashes and hangs when trying to use Virtual box for the last few version of both macOS and VirtualBox. It was completely unusable. I couldn't install an OS on a new VM and I couldn't run any existing VMs. I basically gave up on VirtualBox and switched to VMware, but I kept re-trying every time a new version of Virtualbox was released, with no success until today.

Today I ran across a blog post that led to a eureka moment at ... The forum won't let me post a link :-( (I'm sure I have posted before and I have been a member for quite some time, so I don't understand its complaint). Do a Google Search for "virtualbox crashing on macOS" and look for a blog post from Stanislas. I will try to post a follow-up with a direct link later.

I too had version 3.7.0 of the Intel Power Gadget installed. I installed it back in 2019 or 2020 and never used it after trying it out. Today I uninstalled Intel Power Gadget using its uninstaller script and I rebooted my Mac.

I just completed a complete installation of Ubuntu 22.04.1 on a new VM!!! Something I haven't been able to do for years. It looks like Virtualbox is running completely reliably now. I have installed the guest additions and some new software on the VM and rebooted it several times.

I hope this helps others who may be having the same crashing and hanging issues on macOS. It seems Virtualbox is incompatible with Intel Power Gadget on macOS.
DennisC

Re: VBox crashing and hanging on macOS solved

Post by DennisC »

The blog post I read is at https://stanislas.blog/2020/02/crashes- ... er-gadget/

I still don't understand why it wouldn't let me post it directly.

HTH
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VBox crashing and hanging on macOS solved

Post by scottgus1 »

DennisC wrote:The forum won't let me post a link
There's an anti-spam filter that requires 1 day and 1 post before being allowed to post links. Though you've been a member since January 23rd, 2021, you apparently haven't posted until today, so the one day one post wasn't satisfied yet.
DennisC wrote:Today I uninstalled Intel Power Gadget ... I just completed a complete installation of Ubuntu 22.04.1 on a new VM!!! ... It looks like Virtualbox is running completely reliably now.
Intel Power Gadget is a known issue for running Virtualbox, especially on Mac hosts. Glad you got your Virtualbox running!
DennisC wrote:The blog post I read is at https://stanislas.blog/2020/02/crashes- ... er-gadget/
A web-search on "intel power gadget site:forums.virtualbox.org" will also show the forum posts on the subject. Though you would have to know that the app was interfering to know what to search for.... :D

Glad you're up and running!