Failed to save host network interface parameter. Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
irene_98

Failed to save host network interface parameter. Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001)

Post by irene_98 »

Hello
So I'm trying to add a host-only adapter when I go to the host network manager and create host only network then go to properties when I check the "Configure Adapter Automatically" and click apply I get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to save host network interface parameter.

Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x80004001)
I'm using:
VirtualBox Version 6.1.38 r153438
My host machine is macOS Monetery 12.6
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Failed to save host network interface parameter. Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x8000400

Post by scottgus1 »

Please see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06. ... k_hostonly especially if the IP range is not 192.168.56.#
irene_98

Re: Failed to save host network interface parameter. Callee RC: NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED (0x8000400

Post by irene_98 »

I actually tried to create the/etc/vbox/networks.conf using the terminal but nothing changed... Do I need to create it in a particular place or smth?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

irene_98 wrote:Do I need to create it in a particular place
Yes. The file name is networks.conf and it has to go in the folder path /etc/vbox. You have to make those folders if you don't have them, then make the file inside the folder.

Note that the file is not needed if you are using the default 192.168.56.#/24 range.

Also note that each line in the file with allowable ranges must start with an asterisk * and a space.

It may be a good idea to reboot the host after placing the file, too.

If you think you have set it up correctly and you have not got a working modified Host-Only network, please post the contents of the file and the path where it is.
irene_98

Post by irene_98 »

Note that the file is not needed if you are using the default 192.168.56.#/24 range.
I have got one with this IP range and it still gives the same error, the other has the range 192.168.57.#/24
If you think you have set it up correctly and you have not got a working modified Host-Only network, please post the contents of the file and the path where it is.
I did reboot and I still have the same problem, the path to the file is /etc/vbox and the name of the file is networks.conf
the content is:* 0.0.0.0/0 ::/0. Hence, I'm disabling the range control and allowing any address
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

First of all, the file /etc/vbox/networks.conf is not necessary when using 192.168.57.0/24, because it is part of the implicitly allowed 192.168.56.0/21 network.

IIRC, the VirtualBox Manager dialogs for the Host-only networks do not always work as expected when the settings are being changed after an initial setup. Please provide a zip file containing the contents of the ~/Library/VirtualBox/ folder for us to have a look. If you like to investigate yourself, there should be files named HostInterfaceNetworking-vboxnet0-Dhcpd.* (or similar), which contain the configuration (*.config), the DHCP leases (*.leases) and the log messages (*.log*) for the Host-only networks.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

VBoxSVC.log file wrote:
Failed to EnableDynamicIpConfig with rc=VERR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
Your VBoxSVC.log* files (provided by PM) contain log messages like the one cited above. A quick look into the VirtualBox source code revealed that the error message simply states the fact that acquiring an IP address for a Host-only adapter via DHCP is only implemented for Windows hosts.

In consequence, you'll have to provide a statically assigned IP address to the Host-only adapter(s) and can only provide dynamic IP addresses to the members of the Host-only network(s).