installer crashes on M1 Powerbook, Monterey 12.4

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Weasel

installer crashes on M1 Powerbook, Monterey 12.4

Post by Weasel »

I have tried the newest version, as well as three of the earlier builds, and the installer crashes on every attempt. The only error code generated seems to be a non-permitted write error. Is there some sort of pre-configuration, or permission needed?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: installer crashes on M1 Powerbook, Monterey 12.4

Post by scottgus1 »

M1 Powerbook
Virtualbox is not compatible with the M1 Macs, see the sticky at the top of this forum.
Jeter-Work

Post by Jeter-Work »

I'd like to suggest that the sticky be updated occasionally. Not unlocked but simply a moderator response added to the end, something along the lines of, "As of July 2022, there is no change. VirtualBox is not compatible with Apple Silicon (M1/M2) Macs. There is no indication that an Apple Silicon compatible version of VirtualBox is being considered."
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

That's an interesting concept, Jeter-work! But it does take some work. We're all unpaid volunteers here, and there's already a lot of work to do.

An easier method is to say that M1 isn't supported. This will cover things until M1 is supported. Then we can take down the sticky. This is what we're doing now.

Besides, the devs don't tell us what they're doing, so we'll have no warning until the changelog says so.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Jeter-Work wrote:something along the lines of, "As of July 2022, there is no change.
Sounds unnecessary. You can be pretty sure that if something changes, we'd mention it.
Chis Ideas

Post by Chis Ideas »

Because VirtualBox does not work with Apple M1 silicon, it does not make sense to install VirtualBox on it.
Therefore better, the installer fails.
Maybe the installer can check and bring up a qualified message to let the user know, instead of failing.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

?? The current installer (e.g. 6.1.34, but this has been in place for several releases) does not install VirtualBox on M1 Macs. But the normal response is an error message along the lines of "wrong architecture", not any kind of crash.

I don't own an M1 Mac myself so I can't investigate this report of a crash. I imagine most other VirtualBox users will have similar difficulties.