Is it possible to have a Mac OS guest to a Mac OS Host?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nick is not my name

Is it possible to have a Mac OS guest to a Mac OS Host?

Post by Nick is not my name »

Hi,
I am interested in trying to have two Mac OS's going at the same time. The Host and guest via Virtualbox. I thought I saw someone set it up on youtube within the last year, but he did this via terminal I believe. Can it be done in the same way that all other virtual machines are made?

Thanks,
Nick Is Not My Name
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Is it possible to have a Mac OS guest to a Mac OS Host?

Post by granada29 »

Yes - running a macOS VM is quite OK on a real Mac. There is a forum dedicated to this at: MacOS X Guests should you run into difficulties and wish to seek help.

Be aware that there is only limited support for Guest Additions in a macOS VM and that there are several pitfalls involved in setting up the VM, depending on the version of macOS you are trying to install. You will found work-arounds in many of the topics of the forum.

Currently, I don't think anyone has managed to get macOS Monterey to work successfully, but many people have working VMs ranging from macOS Leopard through to Big Sur.
Nick is not my name

Re: Is it possible to have a Mac OS guest to a Mac OS Host?

Post by Nick is not my name »

Thank You So Much Granada29! You saved me a lot of work! I have music software that will cost too much to upgrade my host Mac in order to work with Monterey and it sounds like it will have issues, so I'll probably buy an external drive to load Monterey on it. Thanks again!