SOLV How to fix "kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" if system preference prompt doesnt show up?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
saramos64

SOLV How to fix "kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" if system preference prompt doesnt show up?

Post by saramos64 »

I'm trying to fix that issue of "kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" but the prompt that's supposed to show up on system preference's security & privacy "System Software from developer ‘Oracle America, Inc.’ was blocked from Loading" doesn't show up. I had VB installed and working just fine, but my computer got messed up and I had to go get it repaired. I got a new logic board on my mac and I tranfered from a backup I made back to the same OS 10.14.6. Now I get that error again but the message in system preferences doesn't show up and it hadn't been 30 since I loaded it and checked the app. I don't want to uninstall VB and lose all my info on my VM (Windows XP guest).
Last edited by saramos64 on 24. Jan 2022, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How to fix "kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" if system preference prompt doesn't show up?

Post by mpack »

Please do not post in "Windows Guests" about host issues. This message is well known on Mac hosts, there's a sticky about it in the MacOS hosts forum, which is where I'm moving this topic.
saramos64

Re: How to fix "kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" if system preference prompt doesn't show up?

Post by saramos64 »

Okay, well I did manage to fix it. Yup, just downloaded the installer again on the version I had (6.0.10) and I ran the uninstaller tool and only uninstalled the VirtualBox prompts and not the other thing device it asked if I wanted to uninstall. When I reinstalled the .pkg it immediately recognized it and opened properly, and my VM was still there with all its settings.