question about useing the share folder

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
simonwang233

question about useing the share folder

Post by simonwang233 »

I have create a shared folder from the host machine followed the user manual. but i do not know how to open the Windows command line. Can anyone help me with that?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: question about useing the share folder

Post by mpack »

It would help if you mentioned what version of Windows you mean. In Windows 10 open the Start menu and begin typing "Command Prompt", it shouldn't need many letters before Windows shows you the icon for that app. You can then click the arrow next to it and choose "Pin to start", or whatever else you want.

Why do you want to open a command line anyway? Assigning a drive letter to a shared folder is optional, definitely not something you need to do unless you have ancient software that expects every path to begin with a drive letter. To find the shared folder just go to a Windows file browser and navigate to Network | VBOXSVR, or type "\\VBOXSVR\<your share name>" into the search bar.
simonwang233

Post by simonwang233 »

I use Windows 10. but there was nothing when I open the Network, it was empty. I can only see the DESKTOP but there is nothing in it.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
simonwang233

Post by simonwang233 »

What dose these log files contains again, I have downloaded something on my VM how much will it reflect these?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It's a text file - look at it yourself. But, any further discussion here will require an unedited log, zipped and attached.
simonwang233

Post by simonwang233 »

the log file is here thx in advance
Attachments
win10-2021-06-04-16-01-01.log.zip
(28.61 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that the log you provided is not useful. It shows the Windows 10 installer booting from DVD, then the VM doing nothing for 2 hours, then the VM is shut down.

You can't access a VirtualBox Shared Folder until after the Guest Additions is installed, which cannot happen during a Windows installer session.

In fact I don't remember any point in the Win10 install process where shared folder access is required.

You need to provide a log from a session in which shared folders could be expected to work, but did not.
Last edited by mpack on 16. Jun 2021, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit - add emphasis.
simonwang233

Post by simonwang233 »

emm I don't know how to install the guest addition I clicked the device. I then clicked the Insert Guest Additions CD Image and it did nothing, I don't know where I did wrong.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Getting the Guest Additions to work is something you can worry about in the future. First you need to give me a useful log of a working VM, not a log of the OS install session.

Installing the Guest Additions in Windows is ridiculously easy. It's described in chapter 4 of the user manual.

If you click "Insert Guest Additions CD" then it does exactly what it says: it inserts the Guest Additions CD. What happens next depends on the OS. Modern Windows will usually not automatically run anything on the CD by default as that has proven to be a serious security problem, so all you need to run is run the VBoxWindowsInstaller.exe file manually.