Can I purchase an OS and use it on Virtual Box?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
greenmusic23f

Can I purchase an OS and use it on Virtual Box?

Post by greenmusic23f »

Hi! I would like to run a bunch of my old games, and was able to find and install an os that works for one of them. That was downloaded, and I understand that process ok now.

Can I buy an OS and install it in VirtualBox? Can it be done and is it hard? I had a hard time getting the pre-made vdi installed, hopefully only because I'm new to this.

My MacBook Pro is running 10.14.3 (Mojave) and I'm looking at Windows 7 and possibly some older Mac OSs, such as 7 and/or 8 (I'd have to look at the all the game disks again).

Thanks for your help!!

greenmusic23f
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: Can I purchase an OS and use it on Virtual Box?

Post by towo2099 »

Windows 7 should be possible, but you can't run MacOS 7 or 8 in vbox, since it was only for 68k and PowerPC available, not for Intle x86.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

greenmusic23f wrote:I ... was able to find and install an os. ... I had a hard time getting the pre-made vdi installed
Downloading a pre-made VDI is the hard way to go about things. OS's are provided with installers for good reason. Use one of those next time, i.e. download the ISO and run the installer yourself. See chapter 1 of the user manual.
greenmusic23f

Post by greenmusic23f »

towo2099 wrote:Windows 7 should be possible, but you can't run MacOS 7 or 8 in vbox, since it was only for 68k and PowerPC available, not for Intle x86.
I think I've read that multiple times, but keep forgetting it because I don't want it to be true. Thanks for reminding me; I'll try to remember this time :|
greenmusic23f

Post by greenmusic23f »

mpack wrote:
greenmusic23f wrote:I ... was able to find and install an os. ... I had a hard time getting the pre-made vdi installed
Downloading a pre-made VDI is the hard way to go about things. OS's are provided with installers for good reason. Use one of those next time, i.e. download the ISO and run the installer yourself. See chapter 1 of the user manual.
Thanks, I will do that.