Virtualbox CPU usage has increased suddenly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox CPU usage has increased suddenly

Post by socratis »

Xavier, you shouldn't have to disable the sound with 5.2.22, it's supposedly fixed... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
XavierR

Post by XavierR »

I have done the tests and obtained the following results:

- 5.2.14 (previous configuration): working fine
- 5.2.20, sound activated: CPU usage problem shows up within 10 minutes (this just reproduces the initial observation)
- 5.2.20, sound deactivated (as suggested above): seems to be working fine after one hour (CPU goes down close to 0% when VM is idle)
- 5.2.22, sound activated: seems to be working fine after one hour (CPU goes down close to 0% when VM is idle)

I think my observation confirms every that was written above regarding to the origin of the issue and its fix. I am now running 5.2.22, and will report back if any issue arises again.

Thanks for the fixes! :)
XavierR

Post by XavierR »

A test on a second machine, with 5.2.22 and sound activated led to the same issue as reported earlier in this thread.
Deactivating sound seems to fix it.

So, I am not sure the release 5.2.22 fixes the issue with sound activated (I actually do not care for sound in VM, so it is not a severe issue for me, and I will leave it off).
ataylor

Post by ataylor »

Hello! Long-time user first-time poster!

I'm a plus-one here... although my issue doesn't seem to be related to the audio? Here are my specs:

Host: MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) + macOS Mojave (10.14.1)
Guest: WinXP SP3 + Guest Additions 5.2.22 r126460
Vbox Info: Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.3) + 2D & 3D Video Accel Disabled + Audio Enabled

The issue for me only seems to appear after the VM wakes from sleep. If I close the clamshell of my laptop with the VM still running to put it to sleep, then reopen it, the host and guest wake up just fine - the guest also still works great. It's just that the CPU core allocated to the guest stays at 100% (even with VM idle) until I shut the VM down. I've attached a log file which had the issue occur.

The audio seems to work fine. Video playback still gives me some trouble (audio glitches and lags behind video) but it's not a huge issue for me (I just use the host if I want to watch something :)). Hope this extra datapoint helps?

EDIT: hmm, actually, maybe it is related to audio. I noticed that when the VM boots up, everything (including audio) works fine. After I let the computer fall asleep (or close the lid) and wake it, the audio no longer works in the guest and the CPU usage shoots to 100%.

EDIT #2: Confirmed... I disabled the audio, put to sleep, then woke... no issue. Re-enabled the audio, same procedure, issue occurs. Guess I'll apply the same remedy for now... it's weird that my audio works perfectly fine before it goes to sleep tho! :?

EDIT #3: sorry for all the edits! Downgraded to 5.2.18 and seems to be working fine. No CPU issues after wake from sleep and audio enabled & working. :D
Attachments
WinXP-VM-2018-11-24-11-16-16.log.zip
(25.3 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
spblinux

Post by spblinux »

190% cpu usage unless disabling sound:
  • mac mini late 2012, core i7, 16GB ram
  • macos 10.14.6
  • virtualbox 5.2.32 with extension pack of same version
  • windows 7 64bit guest 4 cores, 6GB ram, guest extensions 5.2.32 installed
  • now sound disabled
Effect of disabling sound: cpu on host down from 190 ... 200% to 60% and win7 vm again usable. Did run fine for years. Assuming some update(s) caused it. First went to virtualbox 6.10: guest slow and saw to many bug entries; went back to 5.x, still very very slow guest; disabled sound and got performance back.(Don't know whether 6.10 with sound disabled would have worked, but for now I will stick to 5.x; got some guest bluescreens with 6.x as described by other users.)

Thanks for the hint to disable sound!