Removing Snapshot Name

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
FreedomCoach22

Removing Snapshot Name

Post by FreedomCoach22 »

This may seem totally elementary but... I'm not sure how to remove the snapshot name of my Windows 10 VM and just make it Windows 10. Can someone explain how to do this? Much appreciated.

Howard
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Removing Snapshot Name

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure what "remove the snapshot name" means. Can you explain it a bit more? Post a screenshot that shows what you mean. Please do not post your whole desktop, crop it to the area of interest. Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, please shrink the image dimensions by at least 50%, and/or change the DPI to 72. All of that can be done from the Preview.app.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FreedomCoach22

Post by FreedomCoach22 »

I uploaded an attached image of my 3 VMs. The Windows 10 VM has a name to the right of it Solar Fire Snapshot. I'd like to delete this and have it simply be Windows 10.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.59.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.59.42 AM.png (26.88 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I see what you mean. However, you can't. If you have a snapshot, the snapshot's name is shown in parenthesis next to its base name. The only way around it is pretty much to merge all your snapshots.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
FreedomCoach22

Post by FreedomCoach22 »

What if I clone the VM? Can I change the name of the clone? Can I merge snapshots if there's only one?

Howard
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

FreedomCoach22 wrote:What if I clone the VM? Can I change the name of the clone?
Not only you can, but you *must*. Each VM has to have a unique name.
FreedomCoach22 wrote:Can I merge snapshots if there's only one?
Yes, select the oldest (your one) snapshot and select "Delete". That will delete your only Snapshot and you're going to be left with the "Current state". And no parenthesis in the name... ;)