Mojave Host / Linux Guest: Video stuttering (workaround: disable guest Audio)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ppinter1
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: linux

Mojave Host / Linux Guest: Video stuttering (workaround: disable guest Audio)

Post by ppinter1 »

First of all, a massive 'Thank You!' to all VBox developers for making virtualization look almost magically straightforward. I can barely grasp the skills involved, truly.

So, with VBox 5.2.{18|19|20|97} hosting on macOS Mojave, I have a problem whereby any video file on Ubuntu 18 and Fedora 28 guests plays for only a split second before stopping.

I've found that disabling guest audio altogether seems to solve/bypass the video issue. Switching guest audio to emulate Soundblaster16 audio also fixes the video, but there is no sound.

I've attached a zip file with a VirtualBoxVM .diag file from my System Reports that complains about:

Code: Select all

Data Source:     Microstackshots
Shared Cache:    0x1ff54000 F435F030-092C-38BC-8E8C-E5006D4CAFD1

Command:         VirtualBoxVM
Path:            /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VirtualBoxVM
Version:         ??? (???)
PID:             7761

Event:           wakeups
Action taken:    none
Wakeups:         45001 wakeups over the last 141 seconds (319 wakeups per second average), exceeding limit of 150 wakeups per second over 300 seconds
I've also included both the Ubuntu guest log file and a fragment of my dmesg log, as it contains several IOAudioEngine errors and seems germane to the problem.

Other than this issue, VBox works as well as always. Naturally, the extension pack and Guest Additions are installed.

Once again, thanks for all the hard work and please advise if you need any other information.

Best regards,
Pete
Attachments
Logs.zip
(39.18 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Last edited by ppinter1 on 17. Oct 2018, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mojave Host / Linux Guest: Video stuttering (workaround: disable guest Audio)

Post by socratis »

Sound is an ongoing battle. Newer versions include fixes and enhancements. Just search the forums for sound related issues...

See if changing the audio controller (after you've shutdown the VM) to "Intel HD Audio" changes things.

BTW, neither the ExtPack or the Guest Additions have anything to do with the audio output...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ppinter1
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: linux

Re: Mojave Host / Linux Guest: Video stuttering (workaround: disable guest Audio)

Post by ppinter1 »

Χαίρετε socratix,

I did indeed try the other audio options, but sadly the result was the same.

If Soundblaster16 is selected, guest video works but there is no sound.

I even tried looking at the VBox audio code, but it's well past me :(

Thanks anyway,
/p2
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ppinter1 wrote:If Soundblaster16 is selected, guest video works but there is no sound.
That's the same as selecting "Null". There's no driver, no sound output, no delay, no stuttering... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.