VirtualBox Manager show blank box to the top area

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
apo2

VirtualBox Manager show blank box to the top area

Post by apo2 »

I have updated VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts from 5.1.38 to 5.2.18,on today.
The Guest OS's (Ubuntu 16.04LTS & Windows 10 Pro Ver1803) are worked well, but VirtualBox Manager has a little bit troubled.
VirtualBox Manager has booted successfully, but it has been showed blank box on top left of VirtualBox Manager Window when somehow Guest OS is running.
What is this box? and What can I do to delete this box?
Attachments
VirtualBox-Manager-at-Start-Guest.jpg
VirtualBox-Manager-at-Start-Guest.jpg (41.96 KiB) Viewed 3516 times
apo2

Re: VirtualBox Manager show blank box to the top area

Post by apo2 »

The host os upgraded from OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 to macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra, on a couple of week ago, but this problem is still occurred.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

What happens if you hover the mouse over the white area? Does it repaint?
What happens if you resize the window? Hide/Show? Minimize/Restore? Move?
What's your Mac Model (from the Apple menu » About this Mac » System Information)?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

Thank you for interesting to my this post.
VirtualBox Manager is starting with no error, but they show blank box like a screen shot that is attached previous post, just after the Guest VM clicked and started.
This blank box is not removed with any operation to the VirtualBox Manager window, like move, resize, hide/show window, and minimize/restore.
Only way for redrawing window is the restarting VirtualBox Manager.

My Mac is MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
Processor: 2.7GHz Intel Core-i5
Memory: 8GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Boot Device: Internal 256GB SSD
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB
Language: Japanese
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

apo2 wrote:Only way for redrawing window is the restarting VirtualBox Manager.
So... if you restart the Manager, it draws all right??? That's really... interesting.

Anything installed in your system that's not "default"? And I'm not referring to applications that do nothing, like Firefox, Chrome, TextWrangler or VLC. I'm talking about system-modifying software, like X11, XQuartz, Qt toolkit, HomeBrew, MacPorts, things like that. Anything?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

socratis wrote:
> if you restart the Manager, it draws all right???
Yes, it's true.

> Anything installed in your system that's not "default"?
Only HomeBrew is used. And I 'm minimal Python programer. Tk library is installed last year Christmas, but no problem for VirtualBox 5.1.32 working.
Hum... VirtualBox 5.1.38 has worked in perfectly, but I decided to upgrade to 5.2.18 because Adobe was announcing for El Capitan has been non-maintenance target from this October update.
I have been Photoshop CC / Lightroom CC user and Oracle VM VirtualBox user at the same time. I selected to upgrade macOS High Sierra in balance of compatibility and new features.

What can I take the next step for VirtualBox Manager trouble?
Last edited by apo2 on 12. Oct 2018, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

apo2 wrote:What can I take the next step for VirtualBox Manager trouble?
I wouldn't have the slightest idea, mainly because I haven't seen that before.

Don't get me wrong, there are issues with the drawing of certain areas in the Manager. But, they're not consistently reproducible, and if you hover over the affected areas with the mouse, they're re-drawn as they should. But that complete white out, which goes away the next time that you start the Manager? I don't think I remember that one before...
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I got a identity of blank box on VirtualBox Manager 5.2.18 for Mac.
That is tools ribbon of VirtualBox Manager 5.2.x. VBox Manager 5.2.18 for Windows shows them.
Picture 1, VBox Manager 5.2.18 for Windows.
Picture 1, VBox Manager 5.2.18 for Windows.
VBoxMgr_5_2_18_Win.png (48.61 KiB) Viewed 3436 times
apo2

Post by apo2 »

VirtualBox Manager 5.2.18 for Mac didn't show tools ribbon at start up. (See following screen shot).
Picture 2, VBox Manager 5.2.18 for Mac
Picture 2, VBox Manager 5.2.18 for Mac
VBox_5_2_18_Mac.png (52.74 KiB) Viewed 3433 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the title bar, where the Close/Minimize/Maximize widgets and the "Oracle VM VirtualBox" are, enable "Show ToolBar".
apo2

Post by apo2 »

socratis wrote:Right-click on the title bar, where the Close/Minimize/Maximize widgets and the "Oracle VM VirtualBox" are, enable "Show ToolBar".
Thank You. It has solved and I've understand for VirtualBox Manager.