[Solved] Can't Add VMDK Drive to SATA Controller

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
nilatS

[Solved] Can't Add VMDK Drive to SATA Controller

Post by nilatS »

Hello, VirtualBox community,
I've been trying to use BootCamp to install Windows & on my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, but I've gotten nowhere, so I started using a guide that explains how to use VirtualBox to install Windows 7 on a partition on your hard drive without BootCamp. I got along pretty well until I had to mount a .vmdk file onto the SATA controller (in Settings ---> Storage in VB). This is the error I got:
Result Code: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}
Callee: IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Callee RC: VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80BB0001)
I am familiar somewhat familiar with using VB as I have used it in the past for various things, but I'm still a beginner and this is completely new to me. Please help!

Thank you!
Last edited by nilatS on 23. Jun 2018, 17:14, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't Add VMDK Drive to SATA Controller

Post by mpack »

Like the message says.

Usually this means that it's an old fashioned vmdk with a small descriptor which references a bunch of extent files: one or more of the extents is missing.

Or, though in a similar vein, the descriptor references a raw disk partition which again doesn't exist on your host. Given that you're attempting to follow the "Win7 in bootcamp and virtual" guide then I suspect it's probably this one.
nilatS

Post by nilatS »

mpack wrote:Or, though in a similar vein, the descriptor references a raw disk partition which again doesn't exist on your host. Given that you're attempting to follow the "Win7 in bootcamp and virtual" guide then I suspect it's probably this one.
I went back to look and see if my BootCamp partition was there. It was unmounted, but I went back to the guide and supposedly, the disk is intended to be unmounted. I'll quote what it says:
After returning to the VirtualBox application's "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager" window, click on the icon above the "Settings" label. Next, click on the icon above the "Storage" label. In the "Storage Tree", "Controller: SATA" should be highlighted. Right click on this highlighted area and select "Add Hard Disk". Choose the "Use an existing virtual hard drive file" button. Navigate to your "VirtualBox" folder. Highlight the bcss.vmdk file. Before clicking the "Open" button, enter the following commands in the same Terminal application window.

Code: Select all

diskutil  unmount  $PARTID;diskutil  unmountDisk  $DISK1
There's some other unmounting stuff, but this happens to be the one before I'm supposed to add the VMDK file to the SATA controller.

Still can't post links, but I'm sure you can find the site given the text above. Creating a new partition didn't help, so I'll go back to the guide and see if I possibly skipped anything. Thanks for your time!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm sorry, but the guide you mention was posted by a volunteer, so I'm not in a position to provide support for it. In any case I don't own a Mac. All I can do is explain what the error message means.
nilatS

Re: [Solved] Can't Add VMDK Drive to SATA Controller

Post by nilatS »

Fixed, I actually had to perform the command twice: once when selecting a drive and when mounting the other VMDK. Marked as solved.
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] Can't Add VMDK Drive to SATA Controller

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.