OS/2 and XP guests can't connect to Sierra host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
warp9
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: os/2 4.52

OS/2 and XP guests can't connect to Sierra host

Post by warp9 »

On my old Mac Pro, running Yosemite, with lastest VB, both XP and OS/2 Warp VM guests have no problem ftp-ing to the host.

With the same settings, on my new MBP, running Sierra, with latest VB, neither XP nor Warp guests can connect.

With XP, I can connect to the internet via, e.g., Firefox. From the command prompt, I can successfully ping, say, 8.8.8.8. But if I ftp to the host, say 192.168.1.2, I get first, "connected to ..." and then "connection closed by remote host".

With Warp, pinging 8.8.8.8 has 100% packet loss; the ftp command just hangs.

The XP VM is set to NAT. I tried the Warp VM with both NAT and bridged. On the Mac Pro, it has always worked with bridged.

Any ideas?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OS/2 and XP guests can't connect to Sierra host

Post by socratis »

warp9 wrote:The XP VM is set to NAT.
You can't connect to the host with a NAT connection. See User Manual, ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
warp9 wrote: On the Mac Pro, it has always worked with bridged.
So, set it to Bridged. See the user manual above.
warp9 wrote:With the same settings
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be true, you have changed your networking mode settings, no?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
warp9

Post by warp9 »

As I said, I tried it both with NAT and with bridged, with the same results, that is, inability to connect to the Sierra host.

I just retried it again, both XP and Warp, with bridged. XP: ping works, ftp reports host disconnected. Warp: neither works.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

When you have it set to bridged mode, which host interface are you bridging to?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, first of all, I hope you read that link that I gave you. So, no more NAT mentions or attempts, because it's not going to work.

Second, why would you expect to connect to an FTP server on an OSX host, unless you've provided one yourself? There's no built-in FTP server. So, if ping works for XP, you'll need another way to connect to your host.

As for Warp, I don't have a clue about checking its settings. I would suggest to open a new thread in the "Other Guests" section, because that's where the problem is, not with your host. And don't mention both guests in a single thread, stick with Warp only...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
warp9

Post by warp9 »

andyp73 wrote:When you have it set to bridged mode, which host interface are you bridging to?

-Andy.
In both the XP and Warp cases, the VM is set to
Bridged
en0: Wi-Fi (AirPort)
Promiscuous: Deny
Cable Connected
warp9

Post by warp9 »

OK, instead of telling you what isn't working, (& right now, I don't have access to the MacPro running Yosemite), all I want to accomplish is to transfer files between the Sierra host and the Warp client VM. If there's another way to do this, please tell me.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Obviously FTP isn't going to work, you might as well have tried tapping morse code on the space bar: without a receiver in place the result will be the same.

There is no shared folder support in the GAs for OS/2 Warp, and the OS itself is so ancient (and is neither Windows or Linux based) that I doubt whether network shares will work - but I guess that might be worth a try.

Which leaves: putting the files on a CD image (ISO or DMG), and mounting the CD in the VM.
warp9

Post by warp9 »

I've had a chance to get to the Mac Pro / Yosemite, and I can confirm that ftp does work, perfectly. I can use ftp from the command line in Warp, or pm-ftp, the GUI version . Not that I doubted it, since it's been working for years, perhaps as far back as Tiger, though I don't recall.

As for the MBP / Sierra setup, please note that ftp from the command line in XP gets a response:
>ftp 192.168.1.2
>connected to 192.168.1.2
>connection closed by host
which, to my naive eyes, looks like there's something on the host side.

Hmm, I just tried it on an MB / Yosemite setup, and got the same results for XP and Warp as the MBP / Sierra setup. I note that the MB/Y and MBP/S both use wireless on the bridge, while the MP/Y uses ethernet. Relevant?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:you might as well have tried tapping morse code on the space bar
That's a keeper!!! :D
socratis wrote:why would you expect to connect to an FTP server on an OSX host, unless you've provided one yourself? There's no built-in FTP server.
I hope you can read it better this time, I've isolated the gist of it...
warp9

Post by warp9 »

socratis wrote:I hope you can read it better this time, I've isolated the gist of it...
Perhaps you can start reading ALL of what I've written, instead of being selectively annoying.

Please explain why pinging results in complete packet loss.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I did read everything you've written, it's the other way round that I'm not sure about.

You want to focus at one thing at a time? I sure do. You've thrown OS2, XP, FTP, ping, *and* a host upgrade in a big dump. Which issue you want to tackle first? Because I could handle up to 3 juggling balls in the air when I was younger, I don't think I can handle 5 of them nowadays.

And since this topic is getting too broad, and to enforce a proper (re)start, I'm going to lock this thread. You should open a new thread in the "Other Guests" section for your Warp issues, and only your Warp issues.

Your XP seems to be pinging (so that's fixed), and your host's FTP is certainly not a VirtualBox issue.