[WorksForMe] VirtualBox is trying to use my old account

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mauricev

[WorksForMe] VirtualBox is trying to use my old account

Post by mauricev »

I had created a new user for myself, but when I attempt to create a virtual machine, VirtualBox is trying to create it under the old account's path, not the current path. Where is the reference to the old account being stored? I tried running the uninstall tool and reinstalling, but it still remembers the wrong path. Interestingly, I do have one virtual machine in the correct location, but I am not sure how it got there.
Last edited by socratis on 18. Dec 2017, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox is trying to use my old account

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid we can't diagnose anything with "old path", "new path". Can you be more specific?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

I had an account under maurice and then I switched to a different account, "atf". When I try to create a virtual machine, VirtuaBox wants to put the machine files in /Users/maurice/VirtualBox VMs as opposed to /Users/atf/VirtualBox VMs". Where does VirtualBox store the reference to my old account and how do I change it?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

That doesn't sound like something that VirtualBox would do. That sounds like something that you did, either by running VirtualBox as another user, or by explicitly changing the preferences. Please think back at what you might have done on the OSX level that might have caused this.

In any event, the global preferences should be stored in "/Users/atf/Library/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml". Please ZIP and attach that file. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mauricev

Post by mauricev »

Bingo, thedefaultmachinefolder was pointing to my old directory. It was probably the case that I had copied the parent folder over to the new account. I fixed it by editing this file and "prev" file manually, and now it's working OK. Thanks for your help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mauricev wrote:I had copied the parent folder over to the new account.
That would do it, for sure. Glad you got it going. Marking as [WorksForMe].