How to setup a VPN server on a VM to for net neutrality workaround

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Darth Vader

How to setup a VPN server on a VM to for net neutrality workaround

Post by Darth Vader »

There was a Reddit post about a workaround for net neutrality that involved setting up a VPN server on a VM:

"But, as I understand, they use blacklisted IPs to block VPNs. If you set up your own VPN using a virtual machine hosting service for your server, you're the only one using the IP and it shouldn't get blacklisted. The process is somewhat cumbersome to set up, certainly, more than %99.9 of people would be willing to put up with. My guess is either that most people won't bother going through the setup so they won't crack down on it or, possibly, they eventually somehow will."

So how would I do this on a Win 10 VM (if possible)

Using a High Serria and the VM is a WIn 10

(This post was on the Mac host and has been reposted here if a VM of High Serria didn't work)
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: How to setup a VPN server on a VM to for net neutrality workaround

Post by BillG »

How would you do what? Which bit are you talking about? What bits are any different from doing the same thing on a physical machine (and therefore might involve VirtualBox)?
Bill
Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader »

I read how some people use old are spare computers to set up a VPN server (google it), I want to do that, but instead of using a spare computer, use a VM to save that hassle.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

That is quite feasible. The only thing which changes is the networking. How you implement the VPN server does not change.

Much the same applies to things like firewalls or other filtering devices. They can be implemented in a vm rather than a separate device as long as you configure the networking correctly. In Windows it is fairly straight forward to configure the networking to suit your requirements (once you know what they are).

All of this has nothing to do with the long quote in your original post. That was talking about putting your server on a hosting service vm (like Amazon EC), not a local one.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I deleted your duplicate post from the "OSX Hosts" section. Keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette, but it's OK, that's why moderators are here for. The first time only... ;)

For completion, the discussion in Reddit can be found here: "Does using a VPN fix problems caused by losing net neutrality?".

I'm not quite sure I follow the logic of the OP. It's one thing to use a VPN to an ISP which has no throttling enabled. It's a completely different thing to have a VPN between you and a VM and then nothing. In my mind, that's completely bogus. Here's a short diagram of what's going to happen. Please explain to me how having a VPN between you and your VM would help you:
You ---------------> Your ISP --> (throttling) --> Internet   (current situation)
You --> VPN (VM) --> Your ISP --> (throttling) --> Internet   (proposed with a VM)
You --> VPN (3rd party ISP, no throttling) ------> Internet   (real solution)
I do believe that the poster that proposed to have the VPN in a VM didn't actually sit down to draw the networking diagram, since having a VPN inside your LAN, will not help you at all...

Of course the actual, real solution for US-based people would be to protest loud and clear to the Senate/House. Threaten then with pitchforks and torches! Or tarring and feathering! :D
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader »

The only reason I want a VPN server so my devices connected to that sever would technically be in "Netherlands".

(I know that the ISP would throttle my data (jerks) and a VPN is slow anyway, but in case the ISP choose to make you pay for google searches (super jerks) I would have to deal with that because the Netherlands still have net neutrality and that I can do a google search with pay 30$, but if the ISP chooses to make VPN paid (really), I'm screwed (unless I find a way to hide my VPNs form the ISP).

The only other reason is that with a VPN server, I can connect to my home network on the go.

This is the method I'm planning to use

https://www.howtogeek.com/135996/how-to ... -software/

(tricky, but I don't want to install any more apps on my VM to save space)

Finally, I had this on the Mac host to see if it was possible to set on up on Mac, but after some research, it seems like Macs have no PPTP. (Unless using apps terminal can get one)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Darth Vader wrote:The only reason I want a VPN server so my devices connected to that sever would technically be in "Netherlands".
No, they won't be in Netherlands, unless the VPN server is in Netherlands. And since your proposed VPN-in-a-VM solution would place your VPN server not in the Netherlands, but at your location, you would gain absolutely nothing.

Please take a look at the ASCII-art simplified diagram that I had in my previous post. Unless you connect to a VPN server that's not US-based, you've can't make this work. The only thing that you would achieve is a secure connection between you and your VM. After that, your VM will contact your ISP. Same exactly thing as if you were directly contacting your ISP.

Plus it's a major pain to setup what you want, but I won't get into the details, it's meaningless, pointless...

As for setting up a VPN server on the Mac, use the OSX Server from the Apple store. But, that's not the point of this discussion... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader »

Phone----VPN----> VPN server---VPN---->VPN server
| (VM) (netherlands)
| |
| |
Public Internet Home Internet

This is the setup I want.

The Phone could be any device out of my home

The only problem is idk how to my server to a server in the Netherlands (or a non-US based server)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that you're trying to find a problem and apply a VirtualBox solution. Your problem is not VirtualBox related as far as I can tell...
Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader »

No, I'm just wondering if I can set up a VPN server on a VM and connect that sever to another sever out of the U.S. (which is the VM is made form Virtual box)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Again, I don't see anything VirtualBox specific about this question. The only thing I can do for you, would be to move the thread to the "Using VirtualBox" from the "OSX hosts" section (since this is not OSX related), in case someone has any thoughts/ideas.
Darth Vader

Post by Darth Vader »

Ok more help the better :D .