[Solved] BR / DVD drive can not be integrated into the guest system

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Holger-erf
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP, OSX

[Solved] BR / DVD drive can not be integrated into the guest system

Post by Holger-erf »

Hello,
I have installed on a Mac mini Virtual Box 5.1.28. As guest system I have Windows 10 1703 installed.
My problem is now that in the Windows my external BR / DVD drive "Samsung SE-506CB" https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-SE-506CB- ... rds=SE-506 is not displayed. In Virtual Box, it will appear at the bottom right when I click the CD icon. If I select it then nothing happens or the blue ring (which was once the egg clock) rödelt eternally rum. I have rumprobiert today almost all day and did not bring it to run.
Who can help me?
Many Thanks
Holger
Last edited by socratis on 16. Oct 2017, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: BR / DVD drive can not be integrated into the guest system

Post by socratis »

Moving to "OSX Hosts" from "Windows Guests", since the kind of guest is not that important.

What if you go to the menu Devices » Optical Drives » Host drive '...' and select it from there? Or from the icon select the "Host drive '...'". That doesn't work? It's not listed?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do USB optical drives appear as "Host drive" on Mac OS X?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes they do! I was surprised as well about that behavior, until I was "forced" in July to replace my (now dead) MacBookPro with a newer model that doesn't have a built-in DVD. I bought an external one (the Apple one if it makes a difference) and VirtualBox sees it happily as: Host Drive 'Apple SuperDrive'.
8)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Apparently it's not just OSX, VirtualBox on my Win7-32 host recognized the external USB CD drive and was more than willing to use it; drive E:\. Of course it didn't work due to power requirements (#$!& Apple :evil: ), but I believe that the USB class can now be presented as a Host Drive in VirtualBox. I have no clue when that started happening, but I'm almost certain that this was not the case in the past.
Paul_S

Post by Paul_S »

Did you check in VirtualBox settings --> Ports --> USB that the USB 2.2 is selected?

I had to select the USB 3.0 to get my Asus external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray to be seen in Windows 10 (with Mac OSX 10.13 as the host).
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Paul_S
You're thinking something totally different. You're thinking USB passthrough, where you pass control of the USB device to the guest (most probably via a filter). We're not talking about that, we're talking about seeing the USB CD as one of the host CD drives in the Storage settings, native. I can have that CD drive appear in any guest, it doesn't have to have USB support. It can even show up in DOS guests if you wanted to.

If you plug your Asus external USB 3.0 Blu-Ray (with or without a disk), and you go to the VM Settings » Storage » select the CD icon on the left hand side » select the CD icon on the right hand side (that's a drop down list actually. Do you see your Asus CD as a "Host 'ASUS something'"? Should be the first option.
Holger-erf

Post by Holger-erf »

Hello,
Thanks a lot for all the answers.
Unfortunately, I have not solved my problem yet.
The DVD USB drive works on the Mac. When I start Windows 10 in the VirtualBox, the drive is removed in MacOS. The DVD drive is displayed in the VirtualBox Devices / Optical Drives menu.
How can I run the drive in Windows 10?
Many Thanks
Holger
Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (127.49 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
02.jpg
02.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
01.jpg
01.jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure I understand. I see in the third picture something that looks like the host drive being attached to the VM. And I see it in the first picture as well. And I see a CD drive in the guest. So, what's the problem? Just plug in a CD in the USB CD drive and it will appear on the guest.

PS. Please switch the VirtualBox interface language to English when you're taking a screenshot. Otherwise I'm going to post a screenshot in Greek :D
Holger-erf

Post by Holger-erf »

Hello Socrates,
the problem is when I click on the CD icon in the file explorer, only the blue ring turns and the drive does not open. It also does not open when I click the CD icon with the right mouse button and then click Open.
Ciao Holger
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Holger-erf wrote:only the blue ring turns
That's the "wait" cursor for Windows 10, right?

Did you insert a CD/DVD in the drive? If so, which one, what kind? Could you try with a standard software CD, i.e. not copy protected or any weird format? Can you shut down the VM and go to the CD properties and enable the "Passthrough" option? Does that help?

Also, could you go to the Device Manager in Win10 and see if there are any exclamation signs? Maybe the DVD drive needs some drivers to be installed on the guest...
Holger-erf

Post by Holger-erf »

Hello socratis,
many thanks for your response.
"Pass - Through" option was the right keyword. I checked the option. Now the DVD drive works under Windows 10.
Thank you for your help.
Ciao Holger
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].