VirtualBox install fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
manggu

VirtualBox install fails

Post by manggu »

I have been using VirtualBox a good many years ago.
I am trying to uninstall and reinstall VirtualBox to reinstall VirtualBox after the trouble last month because VM of VirtualBox can not be started. I keep failing.

VirtualBox Version : 5.1.26

ErrorMessage : (Summary Step) The Installation failed. The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

System.log:
Aug 23 09:14:07 P43801 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[3691]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook
Aug 23 09:14:24 P43801 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit
Aug 23 09:14:25 --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Aug 23 09:14:25 P43801 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.domain.pid.IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.3723): Path not allowed in target domain: type = pid, path = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/SharedFrameworks/LLDB.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/RootDebuggingXPCService.xpc error = 147: The specified service did not ship in the requestor's bundle, origin = /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/PlugIns/IDECacheDeleteAppExtension.appex
Aug 23 09:14:25 P43801 logd[60]: assertion failed: 16G29: logd + 105415 [255F096D-8D48-320D-98C5-75957FE7EA44]: 0x53
Aug 23 09:15:17 P43801 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.quicklook[3831]): Endpoint has been activated through legacy launch(3) APIs. Please switch to XPC or bootstrap_check_in(): com.apple.quicklook

I already tried some action from this forums, but it not working me.
Attachments
When run guest OS
When run guest OS
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 10.26.28.jpg (75.16 KiB) Viewed 11488 times
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.17.54.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.17.54.jpg (91.76 KiB) Viewed 11495 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox install fails

Post by socratis »

For future reference, next time, please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least). Not everyone is blessed with a HiDPI display ;)

Now, I "see" two screenshots, one with a failed installer, and one where you run VirtualBox but it fails to start a VM. You can't have both. Either you can't install VirtualBox, *or* VirtualBox installed and it can't start a VM.

Which one?

PS. Since there are more and more "can't install VirtualBox", I'm going to try and write a mini how-to, so my reply might take a little longer...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
manggu

Post by manggu »

hi.
Thank you for your reply and I understand image size, I will do that from next time.

>Which one?
Both.

Even install fail, I can run VirtualBox.(same to snapshot). but guest OS can't run. :shock:
My guess is a permission problem. but I don't know which permission was miss.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

manggu wrote:Even install fail, I can run VirtualBox.(same to snapshot). but guest OS can't run.
Do you understand that if the installation fails, you have a corrupted installation? Nothing could possibly work correctly after that.

But, if the installation fails, you *shouldn't* be able to run VirtualBox. I have the feeling that you're not telling me the whole truth here. Can you try from the start? And please forget about permissions, your clients not running and all that. I want a *complete and detailed* account of what happened, not what should have happened or what to expect after that. Just what you've done so far.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
manggu

Post by manggu »

socratis.
Thank you for your reply.

My flow is below.
1. Check current status.

Code: Select all

$ ls -al /Applications/ |grep VirtualBox
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jul 27 21:11 VirtualBox.app
2. Remove old VirtualBox using Uninstall_tools.sh

The uninstallation processes requires administrative privileges
because some of the installed files cannot be removed by a normal
user. You may be prompted for your password now...
Successfully unloaded VirtualBox kernel extensions.
Done.
3. Re-check status

$ ls -al /Applications/ |grep VirtualBox
$
4.restart MacOS
5.Download & Install with VirtualBox-5.1.26-117224-OSX.dmg
6.Install fail again...T.T
7.re-check

ls -al /Applications/ |grep VirtualBox
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 Jul 27 21:11 VirtualBox.app

One thing, I can't understand "VirtualBox.app" date time is why "Jul 27 21:11"???
Current my pc date is

$ date
Thu Aug 24 18:01:18 JST 2017
Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

manggu wrote:6.Install fail again...T.T
I don't know what the T.T is, but you shouldn't be having a VirtualBox.app if the installation fails. Any "restore" daemon running on the host?
  1. Once you start the installer package, press Cmd-L to show the installer log window.
  2. Choose to "Show All Logs" from the detail level drop-down list.
  3. Before you finalize the installation, due to error or not, click "Save" on the installer log window.
  4. ZIP it and attach it to your reply.
  5. Post the output of the commands (from /Applications/Utilities/Terminal):
    • ls -ale@ /
      ls -ale@ /private/tmp
manggu

Post by manggu »

Hi. again. T.T is the same meaning :cry: .

Anyway attached a log file.

Thank you.
Attachments
ls_command.txt
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
virtualBox_install_log.txt
(10.09 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
hoeiriis

Post by hoeiriis »

Fails on iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) running macOS 10.13 Beta (17A352a)

Aug 29 22:35:01 Emils-iMac installd[618]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Aug 29 22:35:10 Emils-iMac installd[618]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=112 "An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”." UserInfo={NSFilePath=./postflight, NSURL=file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox%201/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while running scripts from the package “VirtualBox.pkg”.} {
	    NSFilePath = "./postflight";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while running scripts from the package \U201cVirtualBox.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file://localhost/Volumes/VirtualBox%201/VirtualBox.pkg#VBoxKEXTs.pkg";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "org.virtualbox.pkg.vboxkexts";
	}
Aug 29 22:35:11 Emils-iMac Installer[1230]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Aug 29 22:35:11 Emils-iMac Installer[1230]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Aug 29 22:35:11 Emils-iMac Installer[1230]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.
Serenak

Post by Serenak »

I also have this problem

Ever since installing the High Sierra Beta I cannot install the Virtualbox app.

Just tried again on Beta 9 same result - installer runs to the end and then issues the Installation failed contact the developer screen.

Just to be certain I ran the removal script, and tried the installer again to the same result.

I know this is a Beta OS and so I don't expect everything to work and for now this is not a critical problem...

I thought I would just let you know and hope that soon an update to Virtualbox will make it High Sierra compatible.

Thanks
yuribit

Post by yuribit »

I had the same issue, fixed with:

nvram boot-args   (to see previous boot args)
sudo nvram boot-args="kcsuffix=release <old boot args here>“
sudo kextcache -invalidate /
sudo reboot
Install VirtualBox as usual
CiaranOMara

Post by CiaranOMara »

I had experienced the same issue, and tried the nvram suggestion, which did not work for me. A note on nvram: for High Sierra, you must be in recovery mode to set new values.

The VirtualBox Installer can be blocked by macOS High Sierra (I am not sure about earlier versions, this is the first time I have encountered this issue).

To unblock the Installer, go to Security & Privacy in System Preferences, then select the General tab. At the bottom of the panel, there may be a block message (I wish I had taken a screenshot). Once I cleared the message, I could re-run the VirtualBox installer to successful completion.

I hope this helps someone.
pfranz

Post by pfranz »

CiaranOMara wrote:To unblock the Installer, go to Security & Privacy in System Preferences, then select the General tab. At the bottom of the panel, there may be a block message.
Thanks! That's exactly what my problem was and I was unsure how to resolve it until I saw your comment. I took a screen shot.
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.28.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-29 at 10.28.05 PM.png (98.24 KiB) Viewed 10997 times
Earlier, I was looking through the install log. It looks like as part of a postinstall script and this is what was failing? I could launch virtual box, but got an error starting a vm saying the kernel extension wasn't installed. I think that explains why it says the install failed, but the binary is there and partially works.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

according to User-Approved Kernel Extension Loading the blocked message disappears after 30 minutes.