Import Appliance fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
burinsky

Import Appliance fails

Post by burinsky »

I am running VirtualBox 5.1.22 on macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

I am running VMware 8.5.8 Pro on the same macOS Sierra 10.12.5 host.

In VMware, I have a running OS X 10.6.3 guest. I did a successful Export of OVF...

In VirtualBox, Import Appliance fails. While the popup shows:

Code: Select all

Importing virtual disk image 'SnowLeop-disk1.vmdk' ... (2/3)
It fails with:

Code: Select all

Failed to import appliance /Volumes/Disk1/SnowLeop.ovf.

Could not create the imported medium '/Users/dev/VirtualBox VMs/vm/SnowLeop-disk1.vmdk' (VERR_VD_VMDK_INVALID_FORMAT).
Result Code: 	VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80BB0004)
Component: 	ApplianceWrap
Interface: 	IAppliance {8398f026-4add-4474-5bc3-2f9f2140b23e}
I'd appreciate any clues on how to proceed. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Import Appliance fails

Post by socratis »

It's because the correct term is "SnowLeopard" and not "SnowLeopar". You're missing a "d" at the end. :D

No, of course not. Most probably because there's something wrong with the VMDK. There are three cases that this might happen and they all point to a corrupt VMDK.

May I ask what is "/Volumes/Disk1". That doesn't look like you're using your computer's primary HD for the VMDK. Is this an external HD? A stick? How big was the original VM, how big is the one that you're trying to import?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
burinsky

Post by burinsky »

It's an external disk. I was running the VM (VMDK) in VMware, shut it down, and exported the OVF.

What are the three cases? Are you suggesting that the running VMware VM has a corrupted VMDK? Or that the appliance export corrupted it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

burinsky wrote:It's an external disk.
I should have asked that in the previous post, but what's the format of the drive, FAT32 maybe? In that case, the max size of a file is 4GB, which would be quite small for a VM. In that case the file might have been truncated and therefore becoming corrupted.

The three cases that I referred to are all for unreadable VMDKs, i.e. if you see that error message, something is wrong with the VMDK.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.