Slow performance MBP with Debian 9

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ChrisRus
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, CoreOS

Slow performance MBP with Debian 9

Post by ChrisRus »

Hello folks,

I've got a new MacBook Pro (2015 edition) running macOS Sierra 10.12.5 and am having similar issues with VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2) when working with a Debian 9 (64-bit) / KDE guest OS instance.
  • KDE performance is very very poor (2-3 lag trying to drag / resize a window, jerky rendering of desktop effects etc.)
  • Any attempt to enable 3D acceleration causes major render malfunction / unresponsive Debian 9/ KDE guest
I have attached a copy of the VirtualBox startup log. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. - Chris
Attachments
Debian-9.0.0-amd64-2017-06-23-10-30-07.log.zip
macOS Sierra on 2015 MacBook Pro hosting Debian 9 (3D accel and video render perf issues)
(28.11 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
ChrisRus

Re: slow performance on new (2017) retina iMac

Post by ChrisRus »

Several other symptoms of the VirtualBox setup I posted about previously:
  • Long lag from mouse-down to window chrome state change in KDE during drag-and-drop/resize operations
  • Once I have successfully initiated an operation in KDE (e.g. a window resize) it's almost as if the mouse event stream is screwed up. e.g. dragging the border of a KDE window with left-mouse button depressed will not work reliably requiring often several attempts to get a window sized/positioned as desired.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Slow performance MBP with Debian 9

Post by socratis »

ChrisRus wrote:and am having similar issues
The title of the thread you posted was "slow performance on new (2017) retina iMac" and it has absolutely nothing to do with your problem. Please, either select an appropriate thread or start a new one next time...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChrisRus

Re: Slow performance MBP with Debian 9

Post by ChrisRus »

Oh sorry - I intended to reply to my own thread but made a mistake.

To clarify, these comments:
Several other symptoms of the VirtualBox setup I posted about previously:
- Long lag from mouse-down to window chrome state change in KDE during drag-and-drop/resize operations
- Once I have successfully initiated an operation in KDE (e.g. a window resize) it's almost as if the mouse event stream is screwed up. e.g. dragging the border of a KDE window with left-mouse button depressed will not work reliably requiring often several attempts to get a window sized/positioned as desired.
... specific to a new 2015 MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra 10.12.5 with VirtualBox 5.1.22 r115126 (Qt5.6.2) and were intended for the "Slow performance MBP with Debian 9" thread.

Thanks, Chris