Windows 10 Graphics Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Mels100

Windows 10 Graphics Issue

Post by Mels100 »

Hi - please can someone help me solve this problem?

I am running Virtualbox 5.1.22 on a macOS Sierra version 10.12.5.

My VM is Windows 10.

I am trying to play a game which requires an up to date video driver.

I have installed the VBoxGuestAdditions_5.1.22.iso which has 3d acceleration automatically enabled but it is still not working.

What else can I do??

Sidenote - I have also downloaded Xcode on to my host mac but have no idea what to do with it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 Graphics Issue

Post by socratis »

Mels100 wrote:I am trying to play a game which requires an up to date video driver.
Programs that tend to push the physical hardware to their limit, have strict requirements for the graphics card specifications. Virtual machines will never be as powerful as the host, especially on the video side. They use after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.

You only option is to pretty much wait for improved graphics support. I have no clue when this will happen or if it will happen at all.

BTW, installing the Guest Additions does not automatically enable 3D acceleration. You have to do it while the VM is shut down (not saved or paused) from the Display VM settings.
Mels100 wrote:Sidenote - I have also downloaded Xcode on to my host mac but have no idea what to do with it.
If you have to ask, then it's not for you ;)
No, all joking aside, Xcode is the preferred Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for computers on OSX. It provides editors, compilers and linkers to build mostly C, C++ and Java programs. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mels100

Post by Mels100 »

Thank you so much for this explanation! haha I hope to put Xcode in use after a few lessons :D

I am trying to find an alternative solution, I am reading about the pci passthrough for Linux users but I do not think there is a equivalent for mac users just as yet.

I did enable the 3D acceleration in the VM manager but for some reason it made the graphics worse off.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mels100 wrote:I am reading about the pci passthrough for Linux users but I do not think there is a equivalent for mac users just as yet.
Nor for Windows or Solaris users I'm afraid, it's Linux only. The PCI passthrough is a really experimental feature and only a handful of users have managed to make it happen, and I really mean a handful, it's not just an expression. As a typical Mac user like yourself and myself, the answer is a definite no. Because one of the requirements for PCI passthrough is that you pass your second graphics card to the guest.

And I don't mean keeping the integrated one for OSX and passing the extra GPU to the guest. I mean having two professional-grade PCI graphics cards on your host, one of which is "idle". Which means having a MacPro as your host, at a minimum. Oh, and you've got to tweak VirtualBox so that it supports it. Nagonna happen...
Mels100 wrote:I am trying to find an alternative solution
I see dual boot in your future... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.