W7 guest keeps disconnecting from OSX host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
eyeman
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

W7 guest keeps disconnecting from OSX host

Post by eyeman »

Hi All

I wanted to eliminate my W7 PC, so I created a VHD file from the PC. It is recognized by my Vbox and a w7 machine is started. After a while, it suddenly disconnects and I get an error msg..it "failed to open my w7 machine"

I am running the latest version of Vbox on my MBP, with Guest additions enabled

Any help is appreciated

Todd
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: W7 guest keeps disconnecting from OSX host

Post by socratis »

eyeman wrote:I am running the latest version of Vbox on my MBP, with Guest additions enabled
Just like the rest of your message, I can't quite understand what the problem is. Could you explain it in more detail? Actually, a lot more detail...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eyeman
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp

Post by eyeman »

Socratis

Sorry for the incomplete posting.

I have created an image of my W7 using a Windows app. It created a VHD file.

When I then imported the VHD into a new Vbox machine, it ran the W7 as a Vbox guest. It works fine for a while, but then suddenly disconnects..when I try to re-start the vbox I get this msg:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine todd pc.

Could not open the medium '/Volumes/Public/ToddPC-VHD.VHD'.

VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/Volumes/Public/ToddPC-VHD.VHD' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MediumWrap
Interface: IMedium {4afe423b-43e0-e9d0-82e8-ceb307940dda}

I have to create a new Vbox, but it eventually drops again. The W7 image resides on my NAS

Thanks
Todd
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that you have to clarify things again. By a lot.

First of all: the title and the forum. "Windows7 guest disconnects from OSX host", in the Linux hosts forum. Something is wrong here. Either the title, or the forum, most probably the latter.

Second: you've got to describe the problem in more detail.
eyeman wrote:I have created an image of my W7 using a Windows app.
What Windows app? Details...
eyeman wrote:I then imported the VHD into a new Vbox machine
Do you mean that you created a new Win7 VM and used the VHD as the "existing hard drive"?
eyeman wrote:then suddenly disconnects
What does "disconnect" mean? Is there another word that you can use? If not in English, in your native language?
eyeman wrote:'/Volumes/Public/ToddPC-VHD.VHD'.
If you are using an OSX host (I assume that much based on your signature, please verify), where is "/Volumes/Public"? Is it an external drive? Is it a network drive? How do you connect to "Public"?. Never mind, the answer was right below this one.

If by "disconnect", all this time you meant that you're losing the network connection, you've got to solve this independently from VirtualBox. If you can't, then copy the VHD on your local HD and try it from there.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just deleted your duplicate post in the "OSX Pre-releases". Please do not cross-post.

I'm also moving this to the "OSX Hosts" from the "Linux Hosts". Linux was never involved.