Virtual Box 5.1 NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Mark_

Virtual Box 5.1 NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by Mark_ »

Good evening,

I'm running Virtual Box 5.1 on a MacBook Pro and when I start the machine it appears this message:

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.
Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
SessionMachine
Interface:
ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}

My macbook pro specifications are:
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
processor 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Please, I need to solve this in order to start working on a master degree. They gave us an external hard disk with the virtual machine on it.
Thanks a lot,

Mark_
Catalonia, Spain
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box 5.1 NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by socratis »

1. There is no VirtualBox 5.1, it always contains a minor version as well, such as 5.1.14. Check the "About VirtualBox" window.
  2. You didn't mention your OSX version. Exactly.
  3. Did you import the VM? If yes, right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager, "Show in Finder". ZIP the VBOX file and attach it to your response.
  4. Similarly, right-click on the VM, select "Show Log", save the 1st one, ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mark_

Post by Mark_ »

Hi,
Thanks for your response. More details:
Virtual Box 5.1.14 r112924
MacOS Sierra 10.12.3

I attach the file vbox.zip and log.zip
Thank you so much for your time.

Mark_
Attachments
MV Master MER-2017-02-10-15-59-53.log.zip
(31.18 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
MV Master MER.vbox.zip
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mark_ wrote:MacOS Sierra 10.12.3
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:05.009775 OS Product: Windows 10
00:00:05.009776 OS Release: 10.0.10586
You say OSX 10.12.3, the log that you posted says Windows 10. Would you care to explain what's going on?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Mark_

Post by Mark_ »

Hi,

I don't know why it says WIndows 10...I'm running the VirtualBox on the MacOS Sierra. Maybe it says WIndows 10 because i have the BootCamp installed with the win10 installed.
Is it a problem to have bootcamp? I don't understand why i can't load the machine and run it normally.

Thank you.
M
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mark_ wrote:I don't understand why i can't load the machine and run it normally.
Let's start with the last part. If you don't understand, then you seek help from someone that might know. Which is what you're doing. Now if that someone can't figure out what's going on because of conflicting information, you're not going to get any help.
Mark_ wrote:I'm running the VirtualBox on the MacOS Sierra. Maybe it says WIndows 10 because i have the BootCamp installed with the win10 installed.
No, you're not. Definitely not. Both the log and the .vbox file are Windows ones. Did you perhaps boot in the Bootcamp partition and run VirtualBox from there? Do you have the VMs installed in a common partition or external hard drive? Your VM resides on the E:\ of your Windows setup. So, with that in mind, could you try a second time to explain the whole setup a little bit better?
changenickname

Post by changenickname »

He is trying to run macOS on Windows 10 which is unsupported.
PS: I know some peoples trying to lie/using a trick to get support. (e.g trying to play a game on an Android emulator)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually the hardware information in the logs (which I didn't include) show that "Mark_" is running Windows 10 on a Mac, unless we're dealing with a really good con artist (I don't think so). Running an OSX guest in such a scenario does not break the license, because the client is running on Apple hardware. I don't recall anyone off the top of my head booting in Bootcamp, running VirtualBox for Windows, and installing an OSX client. I haven't tried it, neither I'm planning on it.

If "Mark_" is trying to cover his tracks (I don't think so), the truth will come out sooner or later and one thing is guaranteed after that; a permanent ban.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

The log and vbox file show that the host is running Win 10 and the guest is Win 7, so it's all good.

There's a "Windows 7 HP.iso" image attached which may be the problem. Assuming that this is an HP OEM version of a Win 7 install disc it may be limited to just installing on HP computers. So if the vdi that was given to Mark_ was created from it then it may not run on the Mac.

There's also these entries in the log:

Code: Select all

00:00:08.878051     Host path 'C:\Compartida', map name 'Compartida', writable, automount=true, create_symlinks=false, missing=true
00:00:08.878358 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false, errorID=BrokenSharedFolder message="The shared folder 'Compartida' could not be set up: Shared folder path 'C:\Compartida' does not exist on the host.
00:00:08.878359 The shared folder setup will not be complete. It is recommended to power down the virtual machine and fix the shared folder settings while the machine is not running"
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

rpmurray wrote:So if the vdi that was given to Mark_ was created from it then it may not run on the Mac.
Not true. If the HP custom Windows wouldn't run on VirtualBox, it wouldn't run on VirtualBox. On any platform. The log shows that last time it run completely for 1:40:42 before it was asked nicely to shut down. So everything looks normal in the last run. Mark_ gets the error at launch, which can be a million things.

I think I might know what's going on with the logs and the recipe...
Mark_ wrote:They gave us an external hard disk with the virtual machine on it.
That external hard drive had the VM, the logs and the .vbox file already there. Those were made on a Windows machine, that's why there's Windows all over the place. Mark_ cannot launch their VM at all. But when he goes to "Show Log" or "Show in Finder" it brings up the pre-existing .VBOX and VBox.log files, which were there from the last run. Check the date of the log; nine days before the post.

I still don't know what's going on with having Windows 10 running on a MacBookPro9,1 which is the exact model that Mark_ described in his original post...