Ubuntu Favorite Hint Content

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lhengen

Ubuntu Favorite Hint Content

Post by lhengen »

I am pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux in general. Been using VBox on Ubuntu for a year now and it's a great combo! However, each VM instance uses the same icon and displays 'VirtualBox Machine' as the hint when mousing over the icon in the Ubuntu Favorites panel. Is there any way to change the icon and/or hint shown? It would be ideal if the Hint showed the Name of the VM (Settings - Basic - Name) and allowed you to specify an icon to use.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu Favorite Hint Content

Post by scottgus1 »

I do not believe there is anything in Virtualbox itself that allows controlling the host's taskbar icon's name or changing the icon.

FWIW, Windows hosts show all guests with the standard Virtualbox icon in the taskbar, but show the individual guest name and running state for each icon.

Though it could be possible, I can't think of a reason why Virtualbox would pass this info to Windows but not pass it to Linux.

There's also much more configuration available in Linux than in Windows. It could be possible to look into the part of Linux that generates these icons and see if there is missing code that can be added. I regret I have no ides what that code would be.