Win 7 Guest can not browse network after upgrade to Mint 20

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
oldwood

Win 7 Guest can not browse network after upgrade to Mint 20

Post by oldwood »

I have updated my Mint install to Mint 20 Ulyana now my Win 7 guest mapped network drives will not connect and I can not browse the network.

I am quite new to Linux so am at a bit of a loss as to what might be the problem. Any help is appreciated. :D
oldwood

Re: Win 7 Guest can not browse network after upgrade to Mint 20

Post by oldwood »

As is often the case :oops: 2 minutes after posting I solved the problem. My process to browse the network in Win 7 guest is to put \\
Asustor (the name of my nas) in the search bar, although this worked fine before the upgrade it would not work afterwards.

I decided to try the IP address after the\\ and that connected just fine and I remapped the folders. The NAS is on a static IP so it should work fine going forward.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running. Good ol' rubber duck troubleshooting, eh? :lol:

Could be a timed-out DNS cache or something. Give the host and guest a couple of reboots over a day, the name connection might come back.
oldwood

Post by oldwood »

Give the host and guest a couple of reboots over a day, the name connection might come back.

It seems to be an issue with Mint as it has been like this for days and multiple reboots but I am fine with using the ip address. I did read something about a gvsf bug in Mint 20.

Thanks,
Gerry