Compare two virtual boxs to identify performance differences

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
brentgracey
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Compare two virtual boxs to identify performance differences

Post by brentgracey »

I downloaded to virtual box images from https://rosi-images.datasys.swri.edu/ - Melodic and Kinetic. So I do not know the details of the setup of each.

My host is Ubuntu 19 on a AMD Threadripper 3960. One VM is Ubuntu 16; the other is Ubuntu 18

The Ubuntu 16 virtual box is a touch slow when it runs (like 3 seconds to update the terminal after I type); whilst the Ubuntu 18 is faster (it doesn't have noticeable lag when typing into a terminal for example).

I tried working through some of the suggestions in posts such as viewtopic.php?f=7&t=93320; but likely fat-fingered the ones that would help.

Would the best way for me to "compare" the configurations of the two boxes be to follow the below process to collect logs from each, and then diff those logs?

----

And if you could grab a VBox.log from a failing and a working version? A complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

Thanks-in-advance