Unable to install a new VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pinnerite

Unable to install a new VM

Post by pinnerite »

I have installed VirtualBox 6.1 on a Mint 19.1 system.

As on a Mint 20 installation I found that I could open neither an existing vdmk nor a vdi created from it from VMware.

This appears to be a common problem.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to install a new VM

Post by mpack »

How would one go about "opening" a VMDK or VDI? Neither one is a VM.

If you want to move a VM from VMWare to VirtualBox, export it as an OVA appliance, import it into VirtualBox. And do bear in mind that VMWare and VirtaulBox are not the same hardware, so there may be things to fix, such as guest OS activation.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Unable to install a new VM

Post by scottgus1 »

This conversation with 'pinnerite' is a continuation of viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98808, where an apparent export from VMware failed to boot, possibly due to missing boot data ('int 18 boot failure'). I suggested a possible workaround was to transfer the vmdk file directly, post-VMware-tools-removal, since Virtualbox can use vmdk's and all the boot data would be present. Then manually set up the Virtualbox guest as close as possible to the VMware settings.
pinnerite wrote:This appears to be a common problem.
If the problem you refer to is that not enough diagnostic information is given when folks' guests can't start, then yes that is a common problem. :lol:

Please tell us what is happening when you try to start the guest. What errors appear? Can you zip and post the Virtualbox guest's .vbox file, as well as the VMware 'VM recipe' file, whatever they call it?

I would also suggest trying a fresh new guest with Microsoft Media Creation Tool's ISO. See if it will boot.