INT18 Boot Failure

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pinnerite

INT18 Boot Failure

Post by pinnerite »

I had installed VirtualBox 6.1.6 on Linus Mint 20 beta
The vdi (Windows-10) was converted from a vmx using ovftools on a different drive running under Linux Mint 19.1

After setting up, no "Settings" errors are reported.

When Start is pressed, I get INT18 Boot Failure

If I press F12 while booting it says the SCSI controller, 1) Hard Disk

The last log file is attached.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
VBox.log
(118.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: INT18 Boot Failure

Post by scottgus1 »

Web-searching 'INT18 Boot Failure' shows that the boot process cannot find important data or partitions it is expecting to find. Perhaps something didn't get copied correctly?
pinnerite wrote:The vdi (Windows-10) was converted from a vmx using ovftools on a different drive running under Linux Mint 19.1
You're trying to transfer a working OS to different hardware. This is commonly done when bringing a physical PC's OS into a virtual machine, and is called 'P2V', for 'physical to virtual'. The principles behind 'P2V' are the same when going virtual to physical or from one hypervisor to another, like you're doing.

FWIW, if 'vmx' means VMware, Virtualbox can use VMware's VMDK disk format directly, without having to export/import through OVA. You should manually confirm that the Virtualbox guest settings are as identical to the VMware guest's settings as possible. You could then bring the VMware VM's disk file over and use it in the Virtualbox guest's disk file. You should remove VMware's version of 'Guest Additions' from the VMware VM before copying the VMDK.

You may have problems. Web-search 'Windows 10 P2V site:forums.virtualbox.org' for ideas.
pinnerite

Re: INT18 Boot Failure

Post by pinnerite »

Nothing worked.

i decided on a new tack with another installation.
That thread will be "Unable to install a new VM"