Error messsage

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sajnoor

Error messsage

Post by sajnoor »

Tried to update virtualbox extension pack and now i cannot any virtual boxes unless i select usb 1.0
when i try to update to latest version this is error i get

Failed to install the Extension Pack /home/itp/Downloads/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.10.vbox-extpack.

Failed to load the main module ('/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK20RTCRestStringMapBase9baseCloneEv.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}

Any help and guidance appreciated
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error messsage

Post by scottgus1 »

The Extension Pack version should always match the Virtualbox version. If you're installing the 6.1.10 EP, you should already be running Virtualbox 6.1.10.

Additionally, be sure the Extension Pack download is not in a folder that has weird permissions.
sajnoor

Post by sajnoor »

scottgus1 wrote:The Extension Pack version should always match the Virtualbox version. If you're installing the 6.1.10 EP, you should already be running Virtualbox 6.1.10.

Additionally, be sure the Extension Pack download is not in a folder that has weird permissions.
Current version is 5.2.34 os is linux cinamon 19.3 tried to upgrade to 6.1.10 and getting error conflict with installed package -qt

Update installed 5.2.34 extension pack and all is working now
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.34/

please let me know easiest way to upgrade avoiding errors many thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Glad you're up and running!
sajnoor wrote:please let me know easiest way to upgrade avoiding errors many thanks
I don't know that one. It's probably better to ask a question in a new topic (after web-searching the error with 'site:forums.virtualbox.org' added to your search terms) when you get an error.

When you change Virtualbox versions, uninstall the existing Extension Pack first. Then install the correct Extension Pack after Virtualbox is installed and working.
sajnoor

Post by sajnoor »

Do i need to uninstall current version to upgrade ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

That one I don't know, I am a Windows guys and have little experience on a Linux PC.

That said, on Windows hosts:

Upgrading within a major version, like 6.1.8 to 6.1.10, it's OK to just run the new installer over the top of the older version.

Upgrading from one major version to another, like 6.0.something to 6.1.something, uninstall Virtualbox and reboot, then install the new version.

Downgrading, always uninstall, reboot, then install.

It should always be safe to uninstall, reboot then install under all situations.

How this goes on Linux hosts might be the same, but I don't know for certain.