Finding Header Files for Puppy Installation

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ty Tower

Finding Header Files for Puppy Installation

Post by Ty Tower »

I'm using a Puppy Linux OS
Its xenialpup64_7.5
I have the devx files loaded and can do compiles OK . VBox has installed allright but complained that it could not find the kernel header files .My kernel is Linux Kernel: 4.9.58 (x86_64)
Kernel Version: #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 13 15:54:01 GMT 2017

Looking for header files in the Puppy Package Managing app I cannot find any with matching kernel numbers.

So I can't get started atm until I work out what it wants and where I get it?
Could anyone assist please?

Additional Info

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2020.2-vbox-amd64.

The virtual machine 'Kali-Linux-2020.2-vbox-amd64' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.
This system is currently not set up to build kernel modules.
Please install the Linux kernel "header" files matching the current kernel
for adding new hardware support to the system.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Finding Header Files for Puppy Installation

Post by multiOS »

See the VirtualBox User Manual Section 2.3.2 for instructions on what you need to do..
Ty Tower

Post by Ty Tower »

Now thats really great mate ! a pretty generic statement that says F*# You go read the manual.
Not terribly helpful!
I know I have to get the header files in there but on Puppy I am not finding them .
That's why I am asking for the assistance of somebody who knows where they are on Puppy and has likely had to solve this to run vbox on their machine .

When you post like that you show your disdain for the average punter. You really should look at your motives for being here.

2.3.2. The Oracle VM VirtualBox Kernel Modules
In order to run other operating systems in virtual machines alongside your main operating system, Oracle VM VirtualBox needs to integrate very tightly with your system. To do this it installs a driver module called vboxdrv into the system kernel. The kernel is the part of the operating system which controls your processor and physical hardware. Without this kernel module, you can still use the VirtualBox Manager to configure virtual machines, but they will not start.

Network drivers called vboxnetflt and vboxnetadp are also installed. They enable virtual machines to make more use of your computer's network capabilities and are needed for any virtual machine networking beyond the basic NAT mode.

Since distributing driver modules separately from the kernel is not something which Linux supports well, the Oracle VM VirtualBox install process creates the modules on the system where they will be used. This means that you may need to install some software packages from the distribution which are needed for the build process. Required packages may include the following:

GNU compiler (GCC)

GNU Make (make)

Kernel header files

Also ensure that all system updates have been installed and that your system is running the most up-to-date kernel for the distribution.

Note
The running kernel and the kernel header files must be updated to matching versions.

The following list includes some details of the required files for some common distributions. Start by finding the version name of your kernel, using the command uname -r in a terminal. The list assumes that you have not changed too much from the original installation, in particular that you have not installed a different kernel type.

With Debian and Ubuntu-based distributions, you must install the correct version of the linux-headers, usually whichever of linux-headers-generic, linux-headers-amd64, linux-headers-i686 or linux-headers-i686-pae best matches the kernel version name. Also, the linux-kbuild package if it exists. Basic Ubuntu releases should have the correct packages installed by default.

On Fedora, Red Hat, Oracle Linux and many other RPM-based systems, the kernel version sometimes has a code of letters or a word close to the end of the version name. For example "uek" for the Oracle Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel or "default" or "desktop" for the standard kernels. In this case, the package name is kernel-uek-devel or equivalent. If there is no such code, it is usually kernel-devel.

On some SUSE and openSUSE Linux versions, you may need to install the kernel-source and kernel-syms packages.

If you suspect that something has gone wrong with module installation, check that your system is set up as described above and try running the following command, as root:

rcvboxdrv setup
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Sorry, but the advice in the manual clearly tells you exactly what is needed. How you achieve that is on a specific Linux Distribution is not for volunteers on this site to investigate on your behalf. Those dependencies listed aren't installed by default on any Linux Distribution. How you get them is dependent on the Distribution, but similar on all distributions depending on the specific CLI; and is well documented on most linux sites.

So armed wit that information, try the Puppy Linux Forum or your preferred search engine, unless you want to wait for another Puppy Linux user.
Ty Tower

Post by Ty Tower »

Yes it took you to the last line before you understood what I seek. Please leave it at that now and don't clutter the thread . I'm hoping a Puppy user or somebody versed in finding those header files will appear. Thats why I posted here.
Ty Tower

Post by Ty Tower »

Bump up . Any Puppy linux users out there to help a friend in need?
Ty Tower

Post by Ty Tower »

OK Great . Thanks for the PM

For others after it is on the Puppy forum ,first post on xenialpup64 7.5 thread http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... =564978669

You download the file as an sfs file and load it with the devx sfs file also then it runs fine , except for one hitch .

It wants to change the group user to vboxusers I thnk :

Code: Select all

vboxdrv.sh: failed: Cannot change group vboxusers for device /dev/vboxdrv
So I'm stuck on that atm . There is no /dev/vboxdrv device that I can see as yet and not sure even if the group "vboxusers" has even been created.

I found that Puppy uses "Busybox " instead of a lot of usual commands to save size. However this causes problems when it comes to installing programs via scripts as this one does.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I have tried adding a user "vboxusers" to the "/etc/groups" and "/etc/groups." files and I created a "/dev/vboxdrv" file with "touch /dev/vboxdrv" that seemed to help the compile to go through to completion. I have not got it running yet though and it seems to need something else.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
ConsoleWrap
Interface:
IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

So that turns out to be the cpu in my machine does not have virtualisation so new chip is next.
Ought to be some mention of that in the read.me file or wherever instead of wasting peoples time !!