Need help troubleshooting install of Linux Mint 19.3 into 5.2.34 VB VM. Black screen on VM boot.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
acw

Need help troubleshooting install of Linux Mint 19.3 into 5.2.34 VB VM. Black screen on VM boot.

Post by acw »

I am new to both Linux and Virtual Box. Thank you in advance for your patience and your help.

At the moment I am having a problem installing Linux Mint into a new VM. When I try to boot the VM I get a black screen until I try to close the VM. Then the screen shows some garbled lines:

Pic on imgur: a/GJMaumN
My first post --> I cant include an actual link

Here is my system:
T540p, i5, 16GB RAM, Virtualization enabled

Host: Linux Mint 19.3
Guest: Linux Mint 19.3 (64 bit)
VirtualBox: 5.2.34
Installed: extension pack 5.2.34r133893 on Linux

I am able to run a live session off of an .iso file. I was able to run an installation without error.

When I then try to boot the VM I see the BIOS message to press F12 to select a boot media for a second. The the screen resizes twice. Then I see a flash that looks like two lines of text. The screen resizes once more. Then the VM screen stays black. I have waited up to ten minutes without change.

I would appreciate guidance on how to go about trouble shooting this.

TIA

I have posted the output of vboxmanage list -l vms here:
Pastebin: e5dPFqM7

VBox.log:
Pastebin: vDv42Bsv

=========

I posted the same question on reddit:
Reddit: r/virtualbox/comments/grmh01/need_help_troubleshooting_install_of_linux_mint

There the mod pointed out that VBox.log says that I have the 6.0.6 version of the Guest Additions in my VM. As far as I know, I have not installed the Guest Additions. How can I remove them and reload the 5.2.34 version?

Last question, he also suggested that an alternative solution might be to use a different Graphics Controller. I know that you can use the GUI to do that in 6.1. Is it possible in 5.2? I cannot find any 5.2 documentation on the site.