Pop OS Windows Setup

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MarkB1975

Pop OS Windows Setup

Post by MarkB1975 »

Hello, I have been trying to use/setup VM on the latest version of Pop OS.

I've downloaded both windows 10 and 8.1, yet struggle to get this to load. Each time it allows me to select the language and country, goes to another screen and says WINDOWS SETUP, SELECT DRIVER TO INSTALL, LOAD DRIVER, A MEDIA DRIVER YOUR COMPUTER NEEDS IS MISSING, THIS COULD BE A DVD, USB......

When selecting on any media that I have made a bootable disk it goes no further only to repeat the above message.

Any ideas and help would be appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Pop OS Windows Setup

Post by mpack »

MarkB1975 wrote: I've downloaded both windows 10 and 8.1 ...
From where?
MarkB1975

Post by MarkB1975 »

Thanks for the reply, directly from the Windows site, one for 8.1 and one for 10, software-download/windows8ISO, then made a bootable USB and DVD.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Use the ISOs directly in the guest's CD drive. The DVD should work, but will be dead-dog slow. The bootable USB is a non-starter, since a Virtualbox guest cannot boot from a USB stick*.

(* and other boot-from-USB-anyway tutorials available on the internet are not supported and might break eventually, if not already)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

MarkB1975 wrote:Hello, I have been trying to use/setup VM on the latest version of Pop OS.

I've downloaded both windows 10 and 8.1, yet struggle to get this to load. Each time it allows me to select the language and country, goes to another screen and says WINDOWS SETUP, SELECT DRIVER TO INSTALL, LOAD DRIVER, A MEDIA DRIVER YOUR COMPUTER NEEDS IS MISSING, THIS COULD BE A DVD, USB......
In >95% of the cases this error points to a corrupted download of the windows ISO.
What is the size of the .ISO file? Can you compare the checksum of the source and your download?