USB Not capturing completely

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cinderblock

USB Not capturing completely

Post by cinderblock »

I have a NETGEAR AirCard 340U that needs a firmware setting change. The only way to change it is with a Windows 7 OS. (Windows 8+ uses weird MBIM "Identity Morphing" which is what I'm trying to turn off).

I can correctly setup USB filters and pass on the device from host to Windows 7 guest. The device seems to fully work under guest OS.

The one part that does not work is when I try to run the special utility under the guest Windows 7 OS to disable "Identity Morphing". Specifically, it seems to start the process fine: I can see the USB device resetting itself and reporting a different PID (same VID) that I presume it uses for firmware updates.

At this stage however, the utility fails:

Code: Select all

FDT version: 2.1.1306.3855
Checking modem mode ...
Disabling selective suspend ...
Switching device to boot & hold mode ...
Checking modem mode ...
Switching device to streaming mode ...
Checking modem mode ...

Firmware download failed.
Primary error code: 82 - Failed in checking modem mode.
Secondary error code: 65 - Waiting command response timeout.
Total time elapsed: 10686 ms.
Press Enter to continue ...
As expected, looking at `dmesg` on the host, I can see the device disconnecting and reconnecting. The weird thing is that it also shows that the kernel has found a USB tty device on the same USB device. Specifically, I'm confused why the kernel is creating this device at all. Shouldn't VirtualBox capture the "whole" device and prevent the kernel from creating a serial device?

I've watched the state of the usbHost and it never shows an extra device. It always just shows up as "Captured" in `VBoxManage list usbhost`. I've tried multiple filter options including just selecting the entire "port" via the number reported in `list usbhost`.

Maybe it's this "Identity Morphing" that is getting in the way of Linux detecting the device correctly in the first place?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: USB Not capturing completely

Post by Martin »

Did you define a second USB filter for the "other identity"? Or maybe configure the USB with just the vendor id if you don't have other USB devices from the same vendor attached.