Virtual box running XP with external USB soundcard

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tupinamba

Virtual box running XP with external USB soundcard

Post by tupinamba »

Hi there!

This is my first post on this forum, although I have been using Virtualbox for several years now (currently v5.2.34).

I started using Ubuntu as my main OS about 10 years ago but needed to continue using some of the softwares I was used to.
Meanwhile, I still had an old laptop with XP installed. That's the one I had my music production workstation installed, with Steinberg Nuendo, Ableton Live,...
I had an external soundcard connected to it: an RME Fireface and, when I travelled, an M-Audio Transit.
I stopped using this laptop and XP about 6 or 7 years ago, when I started using OSX for everything related to music.

I don't have the RME Fireface anymore but I kept the tiny, travel-friendly M-Audio Transit, and that is the one I used with the laptop because you could not run the "pro" music softwares with the internal soundcard.

I've made an image of that old "music production workstation" because I'd like to get rid of this old laptop that is slow and doesn't have a battery anymore, but still have access to those old, unfinished projects.
The image works fine, except when it comes to the external soundcard : installation works fine with the drivers provided by M-Audio, but then I have cracks and sound slowing down, even cutting from time to time.

And now comes the really weird thing: If I uncheck the "M-Audio Transit USB" box in the USB menu (bottom right) while the XP image is running, I hear the XP sound telling me a USB device was unplugged... But i still hear it coming through the M-Audio Transit output!

And if I play music or launch a sound production application, then I don't have the cracks, slow-downs anymore, everything is as it should be, coming from the M-Audio output!
If I check the Sound control menu, it reads that I'm using the 'Intel(r) integrated audio'... But I'm not, as sound is coming from the M-Audio Transit, right?...

Anyway, I could just let it go, as I've found a working alternative, and I just need to have access to old music projects so that is not a daily need... but I'd really like to understand what is going on here! :-)

Thanks in advance if you have a clue... 'cause I don't!

Cheers!
Cachetex

Re: Virtual box running XP with external USB soundcard

Post by Cachetex »

I ran into the same sound problem as well. If possible, try to review your device. They most likely have failed to connect.