Strange interaction between Visual Studio Code and Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
realszopen

Strange interaction between Visual Studio Code and Virtualbox

Post by realszopen »

Dear All,

I hope someone can help with this strange problem.
I need these two tool running at the same time on same Linux host machine. That is:
1) Microsoft Visual Studio Code.
2) Oracle Virtualbox.

The problem however is, quite recently and unfortunately I cannot pinpoint the exact timeframe for this event quite a strange thing started to occur on my computer. If I have Visual Studio Code running and I start Virtualbox, all seems to work as normal but Virtualbx does not see USB devices so I cannot pass them to running Virtual Machine, the USB menu is simply empty. The only solution which I found is to close VM, close Virtualbox, close Visual Studio Code and then relaunch Virtualbox. It would seems some feature of Visual Studio Code is blocking the visibility of USB devices to VirtualBox. USB devices seem to be working correctly, it is just the visibility in Virtualbox which seems to be affected. It would be great if you could help. I don't really know if the issue is on Virtualbox or Visual Studio Code side.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Strange interaction between Visual Studio Code and Virtualbox

Post by scottgus1 »

If I understand right, when Visual Studio Code is running, Virtualbox cannot see USB devices. But when VSC is off, Virtualbox can see USB devices.

Does it matter which is started first? If VB is running does VB remain able to see USB when VSC is started? Or does VSC always block VB from USB no matter which is started first?

You state that the only way to restore USB to VB is to turn VSC and VB off then restart VB. Turning off VSC does not allow VB to resume ability to see USB?

I would check to see if there are any USB filters put in place by VSC.
realszopen

Re: Strange interaction between Visual Studio Code and Virtualbox

Post by realszopen »

Hi,
I have no USB filters applied.
This behaviour occurs if VSC is running prior to Virtualbox being launched. If I launch virtualbox first and then VSC all USB devices are visible as normal. If I am in a state of no usb visibility and I try to close VSC it does not resolve the issue.