Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - modprobe vboxdrv failed, but no errors found

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
BionicWoodworker

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - modprobe vboxdrv failed, but no errors found

Post by BionicWoodworker »

I had been running Ubuntu 19.04, upgraded to 19.10 and then shortly after to 20.04 when it became available.
When I went to open a VM after the final upgrade, it complained that the kernel modules needed to be rebuilt, which I've done before with no issue.
This time however, it says it fails on the modprobe command, but there's nothing in dmesg related to virtualbox or modprobe.

vboxconfig output:

Code: Select all

$ sudo   /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.order at /lib/modules/5.4.30: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin at /lib/modules/5.4.30: No such file or directory
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
At main.c:271:
- SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69
- SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76
kmodsign: /lib/modules/5.4.0-26-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko.~signed~: No such file or directory
- SSL error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69
- SSL error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file: ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76
kmodsign: /lib/modules/5.4.0-26-generic/misc/vboxnetflt.ko.~signed~: No such file or directory
kmodsign: /lib/modules/5.4.0-26-generic/misc/vboxnetadp.ko.~signed~: No such file or directory
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run
  /sbin/vboxconfig
as root.  If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
OS details:

$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS \n \l

$ uname -r
5.4.0-26-generic
I found it odd that it's trying to get modules for a kernel version I'm not running(or installed), in fact the directory only exists after attempting to install virtualbox.
I'm not running secureboot, in fact, I tried to follow the steps to sign the kernel modules, mokutil refuses to import the public key, so I'm at a loss to understand how to correct it.

I tried removing 6.1 and going back to 6.0, but that had the same/similar errors.

the vbox-setup log just shows it building the modules, and no errors:

$ tail /var/log/vbox-setup.log
Building the main VirtualBox module.
Building the net filter module.
Building the net adaptor module.
$
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - modprobe vboxdrv failed, but no errors found

Post by scottgus1 »

So far on the official Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads page, there is no Ubuntu 20.04 link yet, so it's not officially supported yet. Might have to wait a couple months.
BionicWoodworker

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - modprobe vboxdrv failed, but no errors found

Post by BionicWoodworker »

That's fair. Of course it isn't :D
I'm so terrible about remembering to upgrade that I often get stuck on an unsupported version and then have to upgrade once or twice to even be supported.
At least this is something I can live with.
Thanks for replying