Alt and Super Keys aren't being passed to the Guest on Debian 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
User999

Alt and Super Keys aren't being passed to the Guest on Debian 10

Post by User999 »

I upgraded from Debian 9 to Debian 10 a few months ago, which also took me from VB 6.0 to VB 6.1. (Now on 6.1.6)
After the upgrade, the Super and Left Alt keys were no longer being passed to the guest OS. (Windows 10) My host key is right Alt.
It's a really big problem not being able to use the Alt+ or Windows+ key combinations!

I've tried different combinations of Auto Keyboard Capture on/off and Mouse Integration on/off, but this didn't affect the symptoms. What additional troubleshooting steps should I take to try to get Virtualbox to pass the Alt and Windows keys to the guest OS? This was working great before the upgrade....

I've also experienced an intermittent issue with the mouse button presses not being captured after a while, even on the Virtualbox window in the host. This is resolved by saving the guest's state with Host+Q and then resuming. I'm going to treat that as an unrelated issue for now.

Thanks!
User999

Re: Alt and Super Keys aren't being passed to the Guest on Debian 10

Post by User999 »

This issue still exists and is caused by Wayland intercepting the system keys for security reasons and not sending them to the application. Wayland created a workaround last year, and it was implemented in gnome.
Now we're just waiting on Virtualbox to implement the extension. Please see ticket 19105 for more info.