VirtualBox UI: grey text on grey background

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
fleitner

VirtualBox UI: grey text on grey background

Post by fleitner »

Hi,

I just upgraded VirtualBox from 5.2 (that comes with Mint which is my host system) to version 6.1, following the steps on the VirtualBox wiki / Linux_Downloads (I can't post URLs)

Unfortunately, the VirtualBox UI is barely readable now. It uses grey text on a slightly lighter grey background. In 5.2, the UI appeared perfectly normal.
I use a dark window scheme, which might contribute to this issue
Edit: I just confirmed, after switching Controls Theme to a non-dark one, the UI is normal. Switching back to the dark theme goes back to the bad visibility.

Has anyone an idea of how to make the UI behave again with a dark theme?
Attachments
VirtualBox.png
VirtualBox.png (97.14 KiB) Viewed 10543 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox UI: grey text on grey background

Post by mpack »

If you are referring to the forked version of VirtualBox that is promoted by your distro, then you need to go to your distro site for support.
fleitner

Post by fleitner »

mpack wrote:If you are referring to the forked version of VirtualBox that is promoted by your distro, then you need to go to your distro site for support.
As I said, I followed the steps from the VirtualBox website, from www(dot)virtualbox(dot)org(slash)wiki(slash)Linux_Downloads.
(I am not allowed to post links, otherwise I would have)

On that page, I followed the steps under Debian-based Linux distributions.
Before starting the process, I completely removed the version of VirtualBox that comes with my distro.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You threw me by talking about themes. I don't know of any standard VirtualBox feature that can be used to override host OS themes. On my (Windows) host the settings details panel uses a black system font. AFAIK the host OS determines in broad terms how a Window will look.

Obviously, grayed out text normally implies "disabled" for some reason. Are you sure you can still run that VM?
fleitner

Post by fleitner »

I've attached three more images that I just took. The only change I made between these is the marked change in the theme window.

Using a light coloured theme for the Controls, the VirtualBox UI looks normal. Using my default dark coloured one makes it barely readable. Out of interest, I also selected another dark theme. There it is even more extreme, with the text really not visible.

The VMs run perfectly. The normal 'disabled' can be seen at the 'Discard' button on these images, which disabled. All other buttons work normally.
Attachments
otherDarkTheme.png
otherDarkTheme.png (72.26 KiB) Viewed 10530 times
Light theme.png
Light theme.png (120.46 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
Dark theme.png
Dark theme.png (110.42 KiB) Viewed 10532 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VirtualBox Change Log for versions 5.2, 6.0 and 6.1, the word dark is nowhere to be found, so I wouldn't expect VirtualBox to explicitly support a dark mode on any host OS. What you see is simply the combination of some colors from the host OS window manager (e.g. font colors) and some colors from the VirtualBox Manager (e.g. background colors). You can find tickets about this in the VirtualBox Bugtracker, one being created over a year ago, so I wouldn't hold my breath. ;)
fleitner

Post by fleitner »

Yeah, I don't hold my breath, it's not a real issue anyway as it is working perfectly.
I was just puzzled as I did not expect such a thing going from 5.2 to 6.1, and was hoping that I just did some stupid mistake somewhere and somebody could point me to it.

In any case, thanks @fth0 and @mpack, at least now I know that it's nothing that can be fixed on my side.

Take care!
HurricaneJohn

Post by HurricaneJohn »

I don't know if this post is dead or not but this is what you do to fix it:

change the command in the shortcut to: VirtualBox -style fusion %U works like a charm.
Cyb3r_Duke

Post by Cyb3r_Duke »

Mate, THANK YOU!

Anyway...an option in the menu should be implemented....

[SOLVED]
Scary Guy
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Android

Post by Scary Guy »

Greetings! I am shiny and new.

I did find a work around script on Github by Felix E/tribut that I'll put in as code (since a post above mentioned I couldn't link things.) It's slightly different than the one HurricaneJohn mentioned so I don't know if it can be incorporated, but it did at least make the text black for me when I tried it so I figured I'd mention it:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

# This is a workaround for Virtualbox drawing white text on light background
# when using dark mode, see ticket #18258
exec "$(which -a VirtualBox | grep -v "$(readlink -e "$0")" | head -n1)" -style Fusion "$@"
I consider this to be a bit of an accessibility issue since I have mild autism and bright lights/colors can be really annoying to me. So seeing the #18258 ticket closed as "closed/wontfix" is really disappointing. :(
AlfredoBBear

Post by AlfredoBBear »

This is the simplest solution: just go to your Menu Manager (in Linuxmint, mine is Cinnamon Menu Editor), and add the style parameters as suggested by HurricaneJohn.
HurricaneJohn wrote:I don't know if this post is dead or not but this is what you do to fix it:

change the command in the shortcut to: VirtualBox -style fusion %U works like a charm.