OracleVM 6.0.18 Unable to connect two VM's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
iangiovanni

OracleVM 6.0.18 Unable to connect two VM's

Post by iangiovanni »

Hi all,

I'm having an ongoing and very frustrating issue with Oracle VM. I am unable to connect two Linux machines (Kali & Metasploitable2) no matter what I try. I have created a NAT Network, tried bridged connections, host only, followed numerous tutorials but I cannot get them to connect.

Everytime I run either machine with each iteration of settings, the IP address remains the same for both and will not change. There is no IP recorded for eth0 for both machines. I've attached pictures of the settings.

I had to disable Hyper-V through cmd to run a machine, as I kept getting 'Call to WHvSetupPartition failed' errors. I'm wondering if that is the cause, as when I attempt to enable Hyper-V Extensible Switch in network settings, it gives me an error message and disables it immediately.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, 068R5X, i7 4800MQ. Virtualisation is enabled.

I've been trying to hours, and I need to get them connected for a university assignment. I appreciate any help people have, thank you.
Attachments
VMISSUES2.zip
(193.26 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
VMISSUES.zip
(87.16 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: OracleVM 6.0.18 Unable to connect two VM's

Post by scottgus1 »

Your NAT network settings screenshot shows 192.2.2.0/24 That is not a valid private IP address range.

Also, Metasploitable's "cable" is not connected.

Additionally, it appears that you originally had the IP address in your guest of 10.0.2.4. If you were connected to the NAT Network for the first run, then changed the NAT Network's IP Address range, there is a known problem where changing a DHCP-enabled NAT network's IP address range after using the NAT Network breaks internet access in the guest, due to the DHCP server not following the range change. See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: NAT network

Fourthly, I have seen forum reports of Linux guests apparently not following changes to DHCP-served IP addresses on the network. Try to reset those network cards somehow?

A NAT network should work if you want your guests to also have internet access. If you don't need internet, use Internal. See also "Internal" in the network pictures link above.

If you try NAT network again use a completely new network with a name that has never been used on this host PC. Set the IP address range before you use it. Use a range that is officially private, and not anything like the host's IP address range. Start with fresh new guests, if you can't find the way to fully reset the old guests' network stack, or try static IP addresses in the guests and don't enable DHCP.

If you go with Internal, set private static IP's in the same range so the guests can ping each other.