Can I use Win 10 key from host (dual boot) system on my Virtualbox (on Ubuntu)?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
runswithascript

Can I use Win 10 key from host (dual boot) system on my Virtualbox (on Ubuntu)?

Post by runswithascript »

I have been testing an evaluation developers edition of Windows 10 and I would like to use a full registered version now instead. I run Virtualbox under Ubuntu on a system I dual boot with Windows 10. If I were to register Windows 10 on the Virtualbox using the same key use for my metal disk install could this cause some problem with updates or anything else?
birdie
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, other Unixes

Re: Can I use Win 10 key from host (dual boot) system on my Virtualbox (on Ubuntu)?

Post by birdie »

Any VM emulates its own set of HW thus you cannot reuse your host OS licensing key in absolute most cases.

If you need to test W10, you could evaluate Windows 10 Enterprise pretty much indefinitely - install and use it for 180 days, then create a new VM and install again and again.
EllaHarper

Re: Can I use Win 10 key from host (dual boot) system on my Virtualbox (on Ubuntu)?

Post by EllaHarper »

Hey there, it's definitely possible to use your Windows 10 key from your host system on a Virtualbox running on Ubuntu, but it can be a bit tricky. While you can use the same key, you'll want to make sure that you're not running both instances of Windows 10 at the same time, as that could cause issues with updates and activation.
EllaHarper

Post by EllaHarper »

EllaHarper wrote:Hey there, it's definitely possible to use your Windows 10 key from your host system on a Virtualbox running on Ubuntu, but it can be a bit tricky. While you can use the same key, you'll want to make sure that you're not running both instances of Windows 10 at the same time, as that could cause issues with updates and activation.
I recommend checking out (Mod edit: offsite link deleted) to see if there are any tips or recommendations for using the same key in both places.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@EllaHarper, I removed your offsite link. Links about how to get a Windows license are not on topic. This site is about using Virtualbox, not licensing Windows.

@runswithascript, Since a VM is essentially a different computer, the big issue is whether you can use the same Windows license on two different computers. That is a question for Microsoft to answer, not the Virtualbox forum.

There is a possible method to get Windows 10 to run both in native and in a VM: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=98410