Corrupted VBOX file after disk issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lith123

Corrupted VBOX file after disk issue

Post by lith123 »

I was using my Windows 7 VM when virtualbox notification telling me there was no enough free space on my drive partition popped up. I freed some space, a bit later I closed the VM, the next time I tried to launch it, it didn't because it couldn't parse VBOX file properly. I can't give the precise error information because I created new VM template and transferred there old VM drive image, so there's no error now. The only thing I remember is Virtualbox had a problem parsing the VBOX file due to missing closing tag.

But old VM template contained info on snapshots I made, and I'd like to restore it. Snapshot image and the VBOX file are safe. When I compared the old VBOX and the new one, I noticed the old VBOX was like "halved", i.e. half of the file was just not present. I could try restoring it myself, it looks like I need to put some additional info on the new VBOX file, but maybe I would just waste my time doing it.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(3.81 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Corrupted VBOX file after disk issue

Post by scottgus1 »

If there is a VMname.vbox-prev file, rename it to VMname.vbox

When Virtualbox wants to write to a .vbox file, it renames the old .vbox to .vbox-prev, then writes, or tries to write, the new .vbox. If the write is glitched, the old .vbox file is still present as .vbox-prev, ready for renaming.
lith123

Post by lith123 »

scottgus1 wrote:If there is a VMname.vbox-prev file, rename it to VMname.vbox

When Virtualbox wants to write to a .vbox file, it renames the old .vbox to .vbox-prev, then writes, or tries to write, the new .vbox. If the write is glitched, the old .vbox file is still present as .vbox-prev, ready for renaming.
Already did so, the problem still exists, looks like the old file contained corrupted version... or maybe not :D , haha I deleted the old folder altogether...
lith123

Post by lith123 »

Ok, I just recreated new template and it turns out I don't have to care a lot about that snapshot