Running Linux on Mac, Can't get Shift+F6 or Alt+F7 to work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
WishingIHadVMware

Running Linux on Mac, Can't get Shift+F6 or Alt+F7 to work

Post by WishingIHadVMware »

I have my host key set to right alt, but I can't get the command to pass through to my VM. What else can I try? Am I misunderstanding the host key use?

Also, I am on CentOS with the i3 WM. I want my mouse and keyboard to be hard locked inside the VM when it is selected. Right now, it doesn't lock which seems to causing part of the problem.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Running Linux on Mac, Can't get Shift+F6 or Alt+F7 to work

Post by scottgus1 »

The Host key enables keyboard activity to break out to the host when the guest has keyboard focus. There are two things the Host key does:

1. When you're typing in the guest, pressing and releasing the Host key breaks the keyboard focus out of the guest and sends further keystrokes to the host OS.

2. If you hold down the Host key then press another key that Virtualbox has preset to a certain command, that command will run on the host then if possible the guest continues to receive keystrokes.

The main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Input shows the Host key or key combination, and what commands the Host key can initiate. On Windows hosts the default Host key is Right Ctrl. I find both Ctrl keys necessary for my normal PC usage, so I set my Host key to Right-Shift-Right-Ctrl.

First, practice with the above to see what your Host key choice does. If you are Right-Alting F7, then Virtualbox will take that F7. Try Left-Alt-F7, or set your Host key to Right-Shift-Right-Alt. No idea why Shift-F6 is being interfered with, unless you want Shift-F6 to go to the guest, and you hit Right-Alt first, to kick the keyboard back to the host.
WishingIHadVMware wrote:I am on CentOS with the i3 WM
Don't know what an i3 WM is...
WishingIHadVMware wrote:I want my mouse and keyboard to be hard locked inside the VM when it is selected.
Try turning off Mouse Integration to lock the mouse inside the guest. Pressing the Host key by itself will release the mouse. The guest will keep the keyboard until you hit the Host key. Try making the Host key a combination you normally don't use, like I did.
WishingIHadVMware

Re: Running Linux on Mac, Can't get Shift+F6 or Alt+F7 to work

Post by WishingIHadVMware »

This helps clear up some of my confusion. Thank you. Also, i3 is a window manager. I was just abbreviating.