Old Pink Panther game doesn't work in VirtualBox >=5.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
foldl

Old Pink Panther game doesn't work in VirtualBox >=5.2

Post by foldl »

Hello,

I installed several old games in a VM with Windows 98. One of the them is "La Pantera Rosa: Misión PeligRosa". When I updated VirtualBox from 5.1 to 5.2, the game stopped working (it gets stuck at the initial screen), so I removed the updated VirtualBox package and kept using 5.1 until until today. But now I can't run VirtualBox 5.1 on Debian 10 anymore (it's too old).

I don't understand why the game runs smoothly on VirtualBox 5.1 and it gets stuck at versions higher than 5.1. I'll appreciate any help or clue about this issue.

Thanks,

Pablo.
Last edited by foldl on 28. Jan 2020, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Old Pink Panther game doesn't work in VirtualBox >=5.2

Post by scottgus1 »

We will probably need a guest vbox.log with a full run of the guest from cold start not save state, playing the game, then shutting down, while using 5.1.x. Then upgrade to 5.2 and try the guest and game again, getting another guest vbox.log.

Zip and post both logs using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
foldl

Post by foldl »

scottgus1 wrote:We will probably need a guest vbox.log with a full run of the guest from cold start not save state, playing the game, then shutting down, while using 5.1.x. Then upgrade to 5.2 and try the guest and game again, getting another guest vbox.log.
Thank you very much for your quick response. Unfortunately, I can't run virtualbox 5.1 anymore (when I run the VM I get an error about a kernel incompatibility). For almost a year, I was running virtualbox 5.1 (which was installed using an old Debian 9 "stretch" .deb package) on Debian 10 "buster" but it seems that that trick doesn't work anymore. So I don't know how to provide the log running the game on virtualbox 5.1.x. I can attach the log on virtualbox 6.1 which is the currently updated version of VirtualBox I have now on my system.
foldl

Post by foldl »

foldl wrote:Unfortunately, I can't run virtualbox 5.1 anymore (when I run the VM I get an error about a kernel incompatibility). For almost a year, I was running virtualbox 5.1 (which was installed using an old Debian 9 "stretch" .deb package) on Debian 10 "buster" but it seems that that trick doesn't work anymore.
I found out something great. I have 2 linux kernels installed on my sistem:

-linux-image-4.19.0-6-amd64
-linux-image-5.2.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

The one that boots automatically is 5.2.0. If I install the old .deb package virtualbox-5.1_5.1.38-122592_Debian_stretch_amd64.deb on my system with Debian 10 while running kernel 5.2.0, the installation process fails so I can't run virtualbox 5.1. I thought I wouldn't be able to run 5.1 anymore so I created this thread. But today I decided to choose the first linux kernel in grub and try to install 5.1 again (this time while running that kernel). The result: No errors! Now I can run the game properly in virtualbox 5.1.

The conclusion is that now I'll be able to give you the logs you request in my following post (both logs will be running kernel 4.19.0). Despite I can now run the game, I'm still interested in knowing the reason why the game gets frozen in virtualbox >= 5.2 because I know there will be a time where I can't run run the old virtualbox 5.1 anymore. Apart from that, I don't think it's good for my system to have a Debian 9 package installed on Debian 10.
foldl

Post by foldl »

scottgus1 wrote:We will probably need a guest vbox.log with a full run of the guest from cold start not save state, playing the game, then shutting down, while using 5.1.x. Then upgrade to 5.2 and try the guest and game again, getting another guest vbox.log.

Zip and post both logs using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I attached it. The Logs folder contains:

VBox.log (running virtualbox 6.1)
VBox.log.1 (running virtualbox 5.2)
VBox.log.2 (running virtualbox 5.1)

The game in 5.1 works perfectly while in the others gets stuck at the initial screen.
Attachments
Logs.zip
(71.28 KiB) Downloaded 10 times