[SOLVED] Passthough of a "webcam" created via gstreamer =>solid blue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sbpetrack

[SOLVED] Passthough of a "webcam" created via gstreamer =>solid blue

Post by sbpetrack »

On a windows host, I can use "virtual camera" software like SplitCam and ManyCam and use a single Webcam on BOTH host and guest simultaneously. I want to do this with a linux host, but there is no Linux-software analogous which is analogous to SplitCam or ManyCam. However, there is a very powerful framework called gstreamer, which lets me easily create a v4l2loopback device, and the following one-line command takes the H.264-encoded stream from my Logitech C920 camera and puts it straight back into a new video device:

gst-launch-1.0 uvch264src device=/dev/video3 name=src auto-start=true src.vfsrc ! queue ! video/x-raw,format=YV12,width=320,height=240 ! queue ! \
v4l2sink device=/dev/video5

Here /dev/video3 is the Logitec c920, and /dev/video5 is a v4l2loopback device . The fact is that such devices can be opened for reading by mulitple processes at the same time. Indeed, on the Linux host, I can run skype, zoom, Ring Central and whereby.com all simultaneous -- feeding FOUR (4) separate applications from a single camera feed. This works seamlessly because that /dev/video5 device, created by the v4l2sink, **is** a video capture device, so it "just works". Please note that alhtough the C920 is a USB camera /dev/video 5 is not. But it is the stream of a webcam that happens to be virtual

I want to use this new video device in a windows guest. I have no choice but to use webcam passthrough, because /dev/video5 doesn't have a VID or PID. When I do, the camera showws perfectly the the Windows 10 guest, and in every application that needs a camera. The problem is that the video is a solid blue screen.

Should i expect this to work? Am I correct that there's no way I can shoehorn my situation into one where I'd use USB passthhrough?

Therefore I'm following the advice you gave , namely to run the command
VBoxManage debugvm Win7 log --release "+USB_WEBCAM.e.l2.l3,-USB_WEBCAM.restrict"
attach the /dev/video5 device and look at this put tp verifiy that is a pure blue square

I attach the VBox.log file. Perhaps it is the VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED there that is the problem. I thank you in advance for examining the .log file and letting me know what you find.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
added "solved"
(81.26 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by sbpetrack on 22. Jan 2020, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
sbpetrack

Re: Passthough of a "webcam" created via gstreamer =>solid blue

Post by sbpetrack »

"NEVERMIND..."

Just in case some other weirdo wants to do the same thing:

Yes, it **is** possible to "share" a webcam and have it run under both host and guest simultaneously. Clearly, you are not guaranteed to get identical deliveries of video bits to both machines -- there are different buffers and queues involved. But you can get it so the two streams are utterly indistinguishable.
From the previous post, I just made the assumption that if I was told to post the logs, it must be because they contain some clues :). And indeed there was some early nonsense in the logs that suggested simply that the out format of then stream was not one supported by the Windows driver. I don't know much about the topic, but it seemed to me that the simplest rawest format might be YV12 or YUY2. I ran into a little glitch in that it seems that (at least in the arch linux distro that i use), the plug-in I used to get the camera source bits -- called uvch264src -- could produce YUV1 but not YUY2 format.But the windows native 8uvc drive could not accept YUv1, but rather only YUY2. By putting in a small converter in the stream, I could do what I set out to do: create a uvc video device that could 1. produce a bit stream which could be consumed by both Windows and Unix, and 2. be opened for reading by different processes simultaneously. For the record, the gstreamer command I use in the end is:
gst-launch-1.0 uvch264src device=dev/video1 name=src auto-start=true src.vidsrc ! queue ! video/x-raw.format=YV12,width=800,height=600,fps=15/1! \ videoconvert ! video/x-raw,format=YUY2 !v4l2sink device=/dev/video5

I'm sure that v4l2sink has some properties to name the device etc. but with the barebones command above, I can use /dev/video5 in all my linux apps, and virtualbox will call the device "Dummy Video Device (0x0000)" You choose it in the menu "Devices"-->"Webcams". And then it works just fine in the WIndows
guest and in the Linux host.

I'll mark it as solved