Moving a Windows 10 Pro VM from Intel Nehalem host to AMD Ryzen host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
devsk

Moving a Windows 10 Pro VM from Intel Nehalem host to AMD Ryzen host

Post by devsk »

After more than a decade, I am moving from Intel to AMD on my desktop. I have this W10 Pro VM, fully activated with a digital license (I have the original Windows 8.1 Pro key), which I want to move from my older system to newer system.

What is the best way to do this without triggering and dealing with Activation demons...:-) Please note that I am not trying to trick the system. My old system will not exist after this move and I need only one Windows 10 VM.
devsk

Re: Moving a Windows 10 Pro VM from Intel Nehalem host to AMD Ryzen host

Post by devsk »

Just replying to myself, because I just did this, and if someone wanders around here searching for the same issue, they will have an answer.

Associated the digital license by logging into you outlook/hotmail account. This VM should show up as a device in your account.
Shutdown the VM normally.
Clone the VM and check both Keep The Disk Names and Keep The Hardware UUIDs
Transfer the cloned folder to the destination machine.
Fire up VirtualBox on destination host machine and select to Add a new machine. Browse to the .vbox file created by the cloning process
Do not change any hardware settings
Boot up and login with your outlook/hotmail account.
Check activation status. It should say "Activated using a digital license linked to this account"
Check if updates show up
Shutdown and make hardware changes if you need to
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Moving a Windows 10 Pro VM from Intel Nehalem host to AMD Ryzen host

Post by scottgus1 »

Cloning is far more likely to trigger reactivation (although the "Keep UUIDs" may have been able to prevent this).

A simpler solution is just to copy the guest folder and files to the new computer, then register the guest with Virtualbox.

Since you aren't going to run the old guest anymore, there will be no issues having two copies of the exact same guest lying about. Also, you can 'FC' file-compare or hash the files to confirm the copy was accurate.