Windows Activation ???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.

Windows Activation ???

Postby Todd Vohs » 20. Jan 2020, 04:11

I am fairly new to this but have been a Windows user most all my life, and it's been a long life from DOS 5/6 to ... Anyway, been an end user most all my life and have dabbled in some Linux but not enough to be dangerous. I have a Dell Latitude E7450 laptop that was shipped with Windows 8. I have since updated it to Windows 10. From my understanding with these, the activation code is built into the motherboard/processor or somewhere. I have had to install Win10 before and never needed to activate it.

I am tired of Windows and tonight decided to install Ubuntu 18.04. Had nothing on the hard drive so I just formatted and installed a clean installation of 18.04. In order to utilize a couple of apps that still are only Win-based, I installed VirtualBox. Pretty straight forward and installed a VM of Win10. It now wants to activate Windows. I am assuming that the VM is using another processor/motherboard identifier that is not the same as the actual machine. I guess I don't fully understand. Is this the UUID?

Is there a way to get the code out of BIOS or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is pretty basic question.
Todd Vohs

Re: Windows Activation ???

Postby towo2099 » 20. Jan 2020, 07:59

Is there a way to get the code out of BIOS or somewhere else?

You can try the following from your Linux:
Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
sudo strings '/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM'
towo2099
Volunteer

Primary OS: Debian Sid
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Re: Windows Activation ???

Postby scottgus1 » 21. Jan 2020, 15:26

Keep in mind that if your Windows 8 was an OEM version (If it was pre-installed on the Dell PC it is highly likely an OEM version) then Microsoft may not let you use the code in a virtual machine (OEM is not supposed to be transferred to new 'hardware', physical or virtual, unless you bought it in Europe).

If they balk, try a Windows 7 license. Microsoft has let Windows 7 license Windows 10, and 7 is still available cheap on Ebay.
Human government is like that crazy uncle who hides a quarter in his fist behind his back, then asks you to guess which fist the quarter is in...
No matter which side you choose, Left or Right, both Sides are empty.
scottgus1
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Return to VirtualBox on Linux Hosts