Has the Snapshot functionality been removed ??

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
coffeetickle

Has the Snapshot functionality been removed ??

Post by coffeetickle »

HW: HP laptop "oldish" though upgraded last year ( 8GB memory, 500 GB SSD, i5 processor) with
a recent on-metal install of the latest MX Linux XFCE (Debian 10-based) I just installed
virtualbox 6.1.2 (Debian 10) from the official download pages.

After installing a win 10 guest and fiddling around for a while, I reached for the "snapshot" button
and to my astonishment could not find it anywhere in the interface.

(I have only used Virtualbox on Windows before this, and there snapshots work, even in V6.0.)

I have googled around and tried everything I could think of: Examining all buttons, icons and menu
entries in detail, right clicking in every possible spot etc. but simply CANNOT find any mention
of snapshots anywhere in the interface. It's completely gone.

I also tried uninstalling the application and reinstalling V6.0 from the synaptic package manager
(included in MX Linux). That version came up and worked perfectly well as well, but same thing:
No snapshot functionality in sight anywhere.

So basically the question is in the title: Was the snapshot functionality removed? If so how come?
Or if not, any ideas on how to get it back?

(I might be going back and trying even older versions next)
TIA
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Has the Snapshot functionality been removed ??

Post by mpack »

coffeetickle wrote: So basically the question is in the title: Was the snapshot functionality removed?
If only.

But no, it's still there. Try clicking on the button indicated below, in the manager.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (8.01 KiB) Viewed 638 times
coffeetickle

Re: Has the Snapshot functionality been removed ??

Post by coffeetickle »

OUCH. Lo and behold! Feeling thoroughly stupid for missing that !!??
I had right-clicked on that spot but apparently missed left-clicking on that particular symbol.

But it does feel like it's been made unnecessarily hard to find. Like in any application one
would expect all the functions to be reachable from the menus. And for the main ones,
a separate button would be welcome, like there used to be. There's plenty of room for
it in the interface.

Thanks for the help though.