Can't uninstall 5.2.27 for upgrade to 6.0.16

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
T8222

Can't uninstall 5.2.27 for upgrade to 6.0.16

Post by T8222 »

Hi. Trying to uninstall my existing 5.2.27 on Ubuntu 16.04. Tried to upgrade to 6.0.16 but deb installer demanded I manually uninstall. Obviously, I want to maintain my existing configuration and vdi files. Trying to uninstall with:

sudo dpkg -r virtualbox-5.2.27 (which is the correct installed version, I checked About)

And I get:

dpkg: warning: ignoring request to remove virtualbox-5.2.27 which isn't installed

I also tried the command specifying virtualbox-5.2

with the same result.

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks very much!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't uninstall 5.2.27 for upgrade to 6.0.16

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm no Linux guy, but when Windows users have issues with installing or uninstalling Virtualbox we point out that the Virtualbox installer is really made and installed via the Microsoft MSI installer system, which is a Microsoft program, not a Virtualbox program, and a Microsoft guru needs to scan the MSI logs to tell what has gone wrong with their MSI system, which is jacking up Virtualbox.

In your case, the Linux package manager and your own recollections & troubleshooting are confused with each other about exactly what you have installed. You'll probably need to Google how to find out the exact thing to enter in a 'dpkg -r' command. We don't know what's really on your computer, unfortunately.

When you do get your old Virtualbox cleared off, use the official Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. We don't know how the forked repositories act and can't support the forks.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

5.2.27 is an odd version number, so it looks like you installed from a .run file because testbuilds are not provided as .deb. Production releases have been 5.2.26 and 5.2.28.
From https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Test builds for Linux hosts are generally packed up in a shell script installer with the extension ".run". To install them, you first need to remove your existing VirtualBox installation (but not your virtual machines - they will continue to work with the test build) and then execute the installer. To remove the test build again, execute the installer with the parameter "uninstall" on the command line.
T8222

Post by T8222 »

There was a buggy version of VB around that time, and the recommended procedure was to install this version to fix it. I was just following orders! But I do need to uninstall it to upgrade now. Thanks.
T8222

Post by T8222 »

I should add, I no longer have that installer to run uninstall with it as noted above -- or I don't know WHERE it is in the existing installation.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Martin wrote:5.2.27 is an odd version number
Good point Martin! Odd, therefore a test version, therefore no longer available for download. I tell Windows users to keep test downloads to fix installing problems, because the test downloads disappear when the next even-number version comes out.

Unless a Linux guru comes along to walk you through this, you should approach this as 'program X won't uninstall, how do I purge it?' through the available Ubuntu forums.
T8222

Post by T8222 »

I found a standalone uninstall.sh in the directory structure. I'll give it a try.
T8222

Post by T8222 »

Actually, I *am* a Linux "guru" -- but if someone more experienced with a given application knows the answer to an issue, I'd rather chat with them then go digging around in the Linux package management systems unnecessarily and risk (what's the technical term? Oh yes!) breaking stuff.