Inactive GuestAdditions on win10pro64 VM, with Ubuntu 19.10 Host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
akhu

Inactive GuestAdditions on win10pro64 VM, with Ubuntu 19.10 Host

Post by akhu »

On a very recent system, I had to install Ubuntu 19.10 to get support for the graphic card (rx5700). Only VBox 6.0.14 was available at the time. it installed ok but GuestAdditions could not be added to VM (win10pro64).

So we waited for VBox 6.1. The update was easy but GuestAdditions still did not work.

I reinstalled everything, starting with Ubuntu 19.10 and VBox 6.1, trying a previously saved VM. GuessAdditions which still did not work.

I created new VMs, where I can see the GuestAdditions iso selected in the Device/Optical drives menu, but GuessAdditions remain inactive, as confirmed by message occasionally displayed on top of the VM window.

The Device/GuestAdditiions Setup option seems to do nothing at all, in this environment.

I am using VBox 6.1 with Ubuntu 19.10 host and win10pro64 VMs on other systems, so I know that it can work and suspect that some glitch from previous installation may have been carried forward. Yet, I have no idea how to fix this, yet.

Any effective clue would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Inactive GuestAdditions on win10pro64 VM, with Ubuntu 19.10 Host

Post by scottgus1 »

It sounds like you can see the Guest Additions "CD" in the guest's CD drive, but when you try to run the Windows .exe nothing happens?

Please zip and post a guest vbox.log, showing this guest running from cold-boot, not save-state, to full log-in, to inserting the Guest Additions CD image, to running the Windows .exe from the gust's CD drive, to shutdown of the guest using the Start menu Shut Down command. Post the zip file using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
akhu

Post by akhu »

Hi Scottgus1,

It took a little time but here is a vbox.log file which I hope can provide some light into this. We now also have the same issue on a second system. All other systems seem to work fine.

As for running the .exe, on the two problematic systems, we are not getting the option to do so.
When clicking the last option of the Device menu (install from CD).

Thank you for your help and support.
Regards,

ac
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(27.99 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

akhu wrote:When clicking the last option of the Device menu (install from CD)
The Device menu command only loads the Guest Additions CD into the guest's virtual CD drive. The menu command does not start the installer. Either the guest OS or you must start the installer.

It appears that you have the Guest Additions ISO loaded into your guest's virtual CD drive.
00:00:00.547043 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#1/AttachedDriver/Config/] (level 6)
00:00:00.547045 Path <string>  = "/usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" (cb=45)
However there are no lines like this in the log:
00:00:10.483150 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version X.Y.Z
So you have not installed the Gyest Additions.

You appear to have a Windows 10 guest:
00:00:00.531073 Guest OS type: 'Windows10_64'
Windows has turned off AutoRun for CDs. It should at least ask you if you want to run the program on the CD. However if you missed this message or the message has been turned off permanently for CDs, you must open the guest's CD drive and manually start the Guest Additions installer "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".

What happens when you doubleclick "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe" in the guest?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I also suggest giving the VM two cores. A Win10-64bit OS running on one core will not be pleasant. The host has 8 cores, so the appropriate range for a VM is 2-4.
akhu

Post by akhu »

Hi,

Super! Issue resolved.

Indeed, we were not getting any message or reaction from Windows (Guest) on those two system.
Thank you for your help and support.

Regards,
ac