Virtualbox problem with network bridge in guest os.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox problem with network bridge in guest os.

Post by scottgus1 »

Dalak wrote:not on the guest host
Just a note for further understanding, we call the physical PC the 'host' and the virtual machines the 'guests'.

I think I get what you're saying, thanks for the clarification.

I am surmising that this all happened inside a Virtualbox guest:
Dalak wrote:I installed a clean Linux Mint 19.2....
I installed the driver as indicated on the website of the manufacturer of the Wi-Fi adapter. This did not solve the problem.
I tried to install different Linux kernels, it also did not work.
The Wi-fi driver will not work in the guest OS. The Virtualbox environment does not pass any host hardware into the guest except for the physical CPU. So the Wi-fi driver in the guest OS will never see the host wi-fi hardware. The network card in all guests will only look like wired Ethernet. Good troubleshooting, but this won't help. And based on your clarification below I think your problem lies elsewhere.
Dalak wrote:Via Virtualbox, connected via Wi-Fi, IP addresses are accepted on the Linux main host, but not on the guest....In the main Windows host, dhcp addresses are issued to all guest machines.
This appears to be a difference in strictness between Windows and Linux host Wi-fi drivers. You will not be able to Bridge to Wi-fi on your Linux host OS using that particular wi-fi adapter driver. The adapter itself is good, as well as your Wi-fi access point. But that Linux Wi-fi driver is too strict.

It could be possible to use static IP address in the guests, then you might get connected. Otherwise, your may need to use two network channels, set to NAT for internet and Host-Only for host storage access.
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

I am surmising that this all happened inside a Virtualbox guest:
I installed a clean Linux Mint 19.2....
I installed the driver as indicated on the website of the manufacturer of the Wi-Fi adapter. This did not solve the problem.
I tried to install different Linux kernels, it also did not work.
I experimented on the host, because I could not understand what was the reason why it worked before, then stopped.
The Wi-fi driver will not work in the guest OS. The Virtualbox environment does not pass any host hardware into the guest except for the physical CPU. So the Wi-fi driver in the guest OS will never see the host wi-fi hardware. The network card in all guests will only look like wired Ethernet. Good troubleshooting, but this won't help. And based on your clarification below I think your problem lies elsewhere.
Perhaps you did not understand me.
I need guests to receive dhcp or static addresses from the router and be on the same local network 192.168.1.1/24
For this to happen, the wifi adapter can be in the role of a bridge.
Router 192.168.1.1 -> Host 192.168.1.135-> Guests 192.168.1. ***
In my case, guests receive addresses 169.254. *. *
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Dalak wrote:In my case, guests receive addresses 169.254. *. *
It sounds like this happens when the laptop is booted to Linux, but when the laptop is booted to Windows, the guests get the 192.168.1. *** addresses?
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

YES/
Hooray, you understand me))))
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK, good. Clarity has been achieved! :D

I doubt this is fixable.
scottgus1 wrote:This appears to be a difference in strictness between {your} Windows and Linux host Wi-fi drivers. You will not be able to Bridge to Wi-fi on your Linux host OS using that particular wi-fi adapter driver. The adapter itself is good, as well as your Wi-fi access point. But that Linux Wi-fi driver is too strict.
If you must boot to Linux, and must have the guests get 192.168.1. *** addresses on the host's network, and you must connect via Wi-Fi, then you will need to go a different route than simple Bridged.

You can use a USB Wi-fi adapter that can be attached via a Virtualbox USB filter to one guest. This guest can then have its own Wi-FI connection to the router and get the desired IP addresses. Repeat for other guests.

You may be able to use an intermediate guest, perhaps something like pfSense, that could receive the USB Wi-Fi device and act as a switch to connect it to an internal network that your guests are all connected to. Just a concept, I have no idea if it would work.

Or boot to Windows instead.
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

What is most incomprehensible is that when I transferred the system from the old to the new laptop through Timeshift
  1. Created a snapshot on an old laptop on an external hdd.
  2. I installed Mint 19.2 on a new Linux laptop and restored the snapshot on a clean system, it only became possible to install the driver on the Wifi adapter and it worked for 2-3 weeks (I don’t remember exactly), the guests received the address through the Wifi bridge.
Now I’ve tried it and it didn’t work out.
Perhaps it depends on the Wifi driver?
Should I contact support?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Dalak wrote:Perhaps it depends on the Wifi driver?
Most probably, yes.
Dalak wrote:Should I contact support?
If you're talking about VirtualBox support, the forums are the best free support you can get. Oracle support options start at 6100 $...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

I meant the manufacturer’s support for the wifi adapter.
It’s just how they understand, in windows everything works, in Linux it works only in Vmware. So maybe it's not the driver, but the virtualbox.

Maybe I need to make some settings in the Linux system?

Or find a person with the same laptop and wifi adapter and ask how he is doing.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2019, 01:20, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Dalak wrote:Perhaps you need to...
Just in case you may be thinking we're developers or such, we're just volunteer users.

You could try putting your data and logs on the Bugtracker. Maybe the developers can look into it.

Or just boot into Windows or run VMware. Your Linux Wi-fi driver is not letting Virtualbox Bridge.
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

Your Linux Wi-fi driver is not letting Virtualbox Bridge.
How do you understand this?
I already said that the first time I restored a snapshot from an old laptop to a new one, everything worked.
Now, with the restoration of the repeated miracle does not occur.

Is there any documentation from virtualbox representatives and it says that my adapter is not supported?
What does it depend on?
You could try putting your data and logs on the Bugtracker. Maybe the developers can look into it.
How fast do they respond?
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Dalak wrote:I already said that the first time I restored a snapshot from an old laptop to a new one, everything worked.
Ok, I see that. There was a lot of data in this thread, and quite frankly some of the more original data was rather squishy and hard to understand.

I don't know why an earlier snapshot would allow it to Bridge on Linux but not now. Unreported update? All I can say is where we are at now. Can you find and bring in that guest with the snapsht again and see if it works?

No telling how long the devs will take to respond.
Dalak

Post by Dalak »

Can you find and bring in that guest with the snapsht again and see if it works?
Ok, I’ll try to do it after the weekend.
I will report the results.

Can kernels be the cause?
My kernel is 4.15.0-72-generic
Just some will come: "Kernel versions 5.2.0 and 5.2.1 have issues with getting the WiFi module working. However, according to the same post, removing the file /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-cc-a0-48.ucode will help , which keeps the troublesome firmware verision 48 from being loaded and load the version 46 firmware instead. "